Laptop Mod??

Status
Not open for further replies.

GByte

Baseband Member
I have a few real bad scratches on my laptop top frame and keyboard frame but its still kicking lol...i just wanted to know if there is anyway of getting it swapped out or mod it with a new frame some how
i.e similar to what a new casing for a desktop would be

I would say don't replace the frame because you would pretty much have to go with the exact same OEM frame. Laptops don't really fit case to case.

MY SUGGESTION: Take her apart and sand down the body and repaint it real nice, replace the keyboard/keys for a new one(s) of same origin and possibly replace stock leds with new colors and add some leds near vents to give it a little pizazz. That would beat out any replacement stock case.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree with abstract, even if you can find a used case / laptop that is the same model you'll spend a few hundred on it because no one really just sells the case unless they are parting out the laptop.

Best thing would be repaint the entire case if it really bothers you.

thanks for the input...ill try doing the swap out n paint idea to personalize it but im not sure on where ill go to get the pieces or leds..any leads??

Autozone

You'll need sandpaper, a poly body fill... just finishing stuff, and maybe some degreaser type stuff.

Then its sand up the scratches so to be nice and smooth, spread thin layers of the body filler, to fill the scratches, and sand smooth.

Then painter up, how ever you like.

Google should give plenty of how tos and great ideas.

But most importantantly, don't ever EVER do......... Oh gotta go.

As far as pieces all you really need are a couple different sand paper grits and plastic based spray paint which are both available at any hardware store. Leds and a soldering iron can be found in electronics shops like radioshack (i get my leds and switches there) though the type of leds in the laptop might better be found online. Super Bright LEDs ? LED Lights, Bulbs, and Accessories

Just one thing as a disclaimer: I do not recommend soldering leds if they are on any circuit board ESPECIALLY the main board because this can cause shorts and weakening of solder joints disabling further use.

IF YOU CHOOSE to replace any leds do so with the iron at lowest working temperature and avoid prolonged contact of iron to soldering point.

No problem but definitely post a log of your work and what you're going with for supplies I would love to see this happen!

EDIT:
Oh and if your scratches are deep enough to require it paton is right autozone has the right stuff for body repair. or if you want to keep it one stop shop some hardware stores have similiar fillers just make sure its not wall putty lol :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom