CPU Temps & Monitoring software

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkeyman78

Beta member
Hi all,

I've got an Intel 865PERL mobo with a P4 3.2GHz processor. I'm using a Zalman CNPS700A-AlCu cooling fan & heatsink, plus Arctic Silver 5 heat paste and 2 120mm fans (one in front, one in back).

A few days ago I was backing up a DVD of mine with my new DVD-RW and in the course of converting the file my system started to beep and it notified me that my system monitor was detecting temperatures that were higher than recommended for the CPU (52c).

Does anyone know what the normal operating temp for the CPU should be? At what temp should I start to worry about whether or not I'm causing the CPU permanent damage? Mine is usually around 47c without any heavy programs running.

Currently I use the Intel Active Monitor software that came with the Mobo, is there another program (preferably sahreware/freeware) that works better?

Thanks for the help.

Converting files is very processor heavy, that temp is just fine. You need to worry if it gets over 60C. Newer P4s run hot. THat is an average temp. Just raise your warning alarm to 60C. Most new P4s wont even begin to fail until they hit 69C-70Cish. Hope this helps.

EDIT-Oh ya, and your mobo software should be fine. If you are worried, double check it with BiOS readings. And if you want a good freeware program, get Motherboad Monitor 5 or MBM5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom