Why are Q9550's more expensive than AMD's 1055t's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
I am preparing to sell my used Q9550. I've been visiting Ebay and comparing prices. I was kind of surprised that the price on the Q9550's have actually gone up rather than down in price since I purchased several of them about 18 months ago. I was also surprised that people are paying more for a used Q9550 than for a new AMD 1055T.

Am I missing something here? I received a great deal on my new 1055T [a little over $100 after I sell the MB from the combo]. But the Q9550's are selling in excess of $200 for used processors...what's with that?

Can someone here explain why people are paying so much for the Q9550?

In the CPU line up, it appears there is a significant performance difference [see chart].

Chart info compliments of PassMark CPU Lookup

Soar

Attachments

• Q9550 vs. 1055T chart.jpg
    Q9550 vs. 1055T chart.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 411
  • Q9550 vs. 1055T chart 2.jpg
    Q9550 vs. 1055T chart 2.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 408
LGA775 has been discontinued, so I doubt that Intel is still making them. Plus, Intel chips are always more expensive.

The Q9xxx line is much better than the Q8xxx line, as well.

I am preparing to sell my used Q9550. I've been visiting Ebay and comparing prices. I was kind of surprised that the price on the Q9550's have actually gone up rather than down in price since I purchased several of them about 18 months ago. I was also surprised that people are paying more for a used Q9550 than for a new AMD 1055T.

Am I missing something here? I received a great deal on my new 1055T [a little over $100 after I sell the MB from the combo]. But the Q9550's are selling in excess of $200 for used processors...what's with that?

There are a lot of people who will upgrade a old platform even when it doesn't make sense to do so. Socket 939 is a really good example of that as well, some of the Opteron dual cores for it still sell for more than a new Athlon II x2 + mobo costs even though they are much slower.

Can someone here explain why people are paying so much for the Q9550?

In the CPU line up, it appears there is a significant performance difference [see chart].

Chart info compliments of PassMark CPU Lookup

Soar

LGA775 has been discontinued, so I doubt that Intel is still making them. Plus, Intel chips are always more expensive.

The Q9xxx line is much better than the Q8xxx line, as well.

There are a lot of people who will upgrade a old platform even when it doesn't make sense to do so. Socket 939 is a really good example of that as well, some of the Opteron dual cores for it still sell for more than a new Athlon II x2 + mobo costs even though they are much slower.

Ok, thanks for helping me understand this a little better. Although it will work for my good, it still makes no sense to me at all. Why would people pay more money for a processor that has less performance and fewer cores?

I suppose I will scratch my head for awhile on this one!

Soar

^they do it because changing sockets requires a mobo and cpu switch, while a new cpu of the same socket only requires you buy a new cpu. Sometimes if your going back old enough to ddr, well, and ddr2 you also have to change ram to get a new socket as well.

^they do it because changing sockets requires a mobo and cpu switch, while a new cpu of the same socket only requires you buy a new cpu. Sometimes if your going back old enough to ddr, well, and ddr2 you also have to change ram to get a new socket as well.

Luke, hey, that makes sense! But I still do not see why people would invest that much money in technology that is going backward instead of forward.

Maybe they have a sentimental attachment to the MB or something...anyway, it all seems so strange to me.

Soar

^well i came up with several theories on this.

A) its cheaper for them to stay with the old tech and upgrade it slightly then it would be to go to new tech, they want an upgrade but they cant afford new tech. Unfortunetly for them they would be better off saving all the money they spend on the small stupid upgrades to get enough for the new tech.
B)They dont know what they are doing so getting a new cpu seems like the logical choice
C)they have a socket fetish
D)they have diminished brain function.

Just some thoughts....

^well i came up with several theories on this.

A) its cheaper for them to stay with the old tech and upgrade it slightly then it would be to go to new tech, they want an upgrade but they cant afford new tech. Unfortunetly for them they would be better off saving all the money they spend on the small stupid upgrades to get enough for the new tech.
B)They dont know what they are doing so getting a new cpu seems like the logical choice
C)they have a socket fetish
D)they have diminished brain function.

Just some thoughts....

LOL! I like your thoughts! Funny too!

The way i do upgrading is usually, 2 gpus per a build. Meaning. the same everything else, but ii'll swap out the gpu. I usually keep a build for 2 to 3 years, then completely upgrade to new tech. Not everyone can do that tho, or heck even need that, but i like to have relatively new hardware, as well i game alot sooo.

Looking at s939 cpu's, i happen to have a server that is socket 939...would be no reason for me to upgrade the cpu in it, i cant find any one reasonably priced that is better then the one i have lol, so until i retire this rig i will keep it as my server. Although i do have a 775 rig just sitting here that i have not been using, perhaps i'll convert that into the server. Anyway, im getting a little off topic lol.

Luke, I only remember hearing a lot about the 939 sockets and that was some years ago. I think at one time they were a hot item and there was quite a demand for them. Not sure about now...And I have no clue as to what the needs of a server might be...I just read somewhere that some server boards have the ability to run two processors at one time[as in two CPU's and two sockets]....I thought that was fairly unique!

I too like to upgrade...usually about every 12-24 months...to be honest with you, I suppose it is more of a hobby than a real need. I like fast and I like to live on the cutting edge or at least near it if it does not cost me an arm and a leg.

Now about AMD's...I no next to nothing about their processors...I found the 1055T on an outrageous sale and the idea of 6 cores caught my attention in the sense of future proofing...so I purchased it. But....months later...

As I read several different posts from several different forums, I am hearing some negative things already about these new AMD CPU's and now I am not so sure about it. I have read many posts that clearly state that the Phenom 2 processors are designed to have the RAM to be run at 1333Mhz! Also, some of the posts are saying I can damage the memory controller on the CPU if I run RAM faster than 1333Mhz. The guys posting this stuff are not AMD newbies but seasoned builders and testers...If I had heard this before, I probably would have steered away from the AMD CPU's and stuck with the Intel's that have never given me even one problem in the past...

Have you any thoughts on these comments?

Soar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom