Burning smell from my computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMyers

Baseband Member
Hello,

I am new here but I own two dell computers and a couple of minutes ago my 9 year old computer started to smell like it was burning up, I turned it off for a couple of minutes and then moves the computer a little away from the wall and then started it again and it ran for 20 minutes and nothing the computer runs fine with no smell. I normally clean out both of my computer once a month dust wise with air and need to do so with this computer. I have replaced the fan, video card, sound card to this computer. Now it is 9 years old. Any suggestions on what might have been that smell coming from it because once I turned it off the smell went away so i know it is the computer.
Thanks

Did you check the power supply? That would be my best bet as Retail companies put power supplies in their machines that are "good enough" sometimes they last, sometimes they do not. Also, check for Dust around your processor. My first computer once had a burning smell, but unlike you, I never cleaned it out. Turns out the burning smell was dust on the heatsink that got hot enough to make the dust have a strong burning smell. (that and the thermal paste wasn't so good).

Nine years is about how old my first computer was (still runs today). It really is time to replace something that old. After about 6 years (depending on how much you spent) computers become pretty much garbage without upgrades.
Sorry for the rambling, bottom line: check the power supply first to ensure it is functioning, then processor or any other critical system component for dust.

Yep, is probably the PSU. One thing to consider is - have you cleaned out the PSU fan itself? It's probably due to a more serious PSU problem, although it's possible it's just due to the PSU fan being clogged up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom