AMD Cool and Quiet no longer functioning properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhOsT1321

Daemon Poster
My computer is pretty new, about 3 months old. Recently, my AMD cool and quiet has been staying engaged all the time, even when I do processor intensive tasks. This just started happening yesterday. My processor AMD Athlon 635 is overclocked to 3.19, but never goes over 50ºC, even under load. I am guessing this is a problem with my motherboard or processor.
Should I simply disable AMD cool and quiet and ignore the problem?

Computer Specs:
Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

HIS H567Q512 Radeon HD 5670 (Redwood) IceQ 512MB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

AMD Athlon II X4 635 Propus 2.9GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX635WFGMBOX

A-DATA Gaming Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 (PC3 12800) 240-Pin SDRAM Desktop Memory Mode

Thermaltake TR2 W0379RU 500W ATX 12V v2.2 Power Supply

MSI 785GM-P45 AM3 785G mATX Motherboard

Do you know what Cool and Quiet is? It lowers your CPU timing to preserve power and run the CPU cooler. When it needs extra power, it spins up to your max clock.

I thought that cool and quiet lowered your clock speed during times when the processor is idle?
The problem is that my processor is stating at the lowered core speed (880 Mhz) for example when I start a game, run a virus scan, and even use Ccleaner. It used to switch to it's full speed when I started any of those programs, and generally stayed at full speed until I stopped running the program.
My multiplier is supposed to go up to X14.5, but recently it has been staying at X4. My bus speed is 220.

CPUZ.jpg

it is clocking down, but it wont clock up, causing program load times to increase dramatically.
So far, just about the only thing that causes it to clock up is when I load something massively CPU intensive, such as Prime.
It used to clock up just like nothing every time I started a program, everything ran smoothly and all program load times were low.

Sorry for the late reply. Flashed the BIOS, upon reboot I got a BSOD then all ran smoothly.
AMD Cool and Quiet still wasnt working well, even with stock settings. I just disabled Cool and Quiet, but this causes me concern. Why would Cool and Quiet all of the sudden stop functioning correctly? Could my motherboard or processor have a problem? It used to work perfectly.

Why not turn it off?

I mean the main problem is he's overclocked and running cool n quiet
there isn't an issue its just they aren't meant to go hand in hand

Most motherboards refuse to operate cool n quiet due to overclocking, as overclocking is taking the parts outside of what they are designed for, and the motherboard, switching frequencies like that, can actually cause damage to the board or processor if it is operating outside of the designed parameters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom