Need some thermal paste guidance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marshal

Solid State Member
I'll preface this by saying that I did read the stickies for thermal paste related info before posting and didn't find a satisfactory answer.

Obviously there are a million and one guides and youtube videos, therein lies a portion of the problem. While trying to determine which of the various methods I want to use on the phenom II 1090T hex core for the build I'm tinkering with, I decided to ask my friend who recently had a new middle road rig built what pattern was used on his. I figured, "if it's good enough for the mutual friend that pieced his together, it'll be good enough for me." The answer floored me, absolutely no thermal paste was used between his heat sink and intel i5. The tech that put it together said it was unnecessary. And I'm assuming doesn't like being bothered by novice questions, because I asked them to call him for the who/what/when/where/how/why and was told to just google it.

To date (2-3 months) his temperature monitoring program (Speed fan) reports it running at ok temperatures (in the 40 C range). As a mutual friend, this is also not the only rig he's put together in this fashion. I know I'm a little (and by little i mean 4 years+) out of the tech loop, the past couple years I've been studying other things, but it was my understanding that every processor got a layer of paste. which made me wonder if there's some design in the newer processors that allows them to go without thermal paste, or if the guy that put it together made a huge faux pas by not applying the paste.

And if anyone has any input on what thermal paste configuration (if any) I should use on mine it would be greatly appreciated. I'm familiar with the rice grain/pea patterns, the thin line, and of course spreading with a business card among others. Honestly I'd just use rice/pea and run with it, but the six core configuration has me second guessing that and Id rather not burn out an almost $300 processor.

For the record ALOT of heatsinks come with thermal pads attached, so in this case, you wouldn't actually add any paste.

The rice grain will still wofrk. While the core have increased, the size of the cores have shrunk too. The rice method should be enough to properly coat the cpu when the heatsink is squished on.

And welcome to TF.

I hadn't considered the pads, because it was my understanding that they were inferior to thermal paste and thus undesirable. I suppose that's how he went about it though, thank you for the rapid response!

I like to use a slightly different approach than most users. Instead of a single dot or line of paste, equaling a grain of rice, I use 9 dots of paste still equaling a single grain of rice.
pastespots.jpg

I could see where that might work nicely to cover the majority of the chip, but I could also see where that would get me into trouble. Considering that it's been a while, and I didn't have much practice to begin with, I would likely wind up with too much, or too little and bad things would happen...I'll ponder it a little more when I have the components in hand next week. I've got a full tube of AS5 to use, and a single chip to use it on so I can probably afford a practice run or two to be sure I've got it down with whatever method I go with.

Well, sink or swim, I'll be sure to post the result. Hopefully all goes well, but again first build in forever so I'm not getting too optimistic. Murphy's law and all that fun stuff.

Wow, I wish I had checked back earlier, that paste does look slightly more appealing than AS 5. Well, it took a while to get back around here because everything went flawlessly. Quite honestly, I was amazed that nothing was doa or that I managed to not botch anything up while selecting odds and ends for the build. Well, until it went all BSOD on me, but that's a topic for a whole other thread.

Motherboard: ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3
CPU: AMD Phenom II 1090t
Ram: 8 GB (2x4 GB sticks) Geil Ultra Plus
GPU: ASUS Radeon 5830 (Open box special on newegg, couldn't resist!)
PSU: Silverstone ST1200
HDDs: 1x Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB, 1x Western Digital of unknown pedigree, 500 GB. Formerly my old external HDD, it was torn apart and stuffed into my new case with all old files intact.
Optical drive: Lite-on 24x DVD-RW drive.
Case: RAIDMAX Scorpio ATX, black and came with a shiny Blue case fan in the sidee window.
And for kicks and giggles: Added 2x Thermaltake red LED fans to the front of the case to compliment the blue one. From the front it kind of looks like Darth Vader is stuffed inside my computer. Well, that's the anaology my friend used to describe it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom