Bang for (my) buck laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horis

Beta member
First off I'm a college student (IT) starting this term and I recently sold my HP laptop I had for about 4 years. I'm looking for a good laptop for around $1200 or less preferably that's lightish in weight, can handle MW2 and SC2 on decent settings, has good resolution, and is going to be fast enough for me not to go insane. Second I do have experience with computers to be a little more than basic. I can fix and build PCs and usually do so for elder family members. I do not however have advance knowledge like overclocking (although heard its easy) and DOS exp. I have been on newegg today looking for the best laptop for the money and have come down to a few options unless you guys/gals have better ones.

These are:
Newegg.com - TOSHIBA Qosmio X505-Q887 NoteBook Intel Core i7 740QM(1.73GHz) 18.4" 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 500GB HDD 7200rpm BD Combo NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M
Newegg.com - ASUS G Series G51JX-X1 NoteBook Intel Core i7 720QM(1.60GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 500GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360MNewegg.com - MSI GX640-260US NoteBook Intel Core i5 450M(2.40GHz) 15.4" Wide SXGA+ 4GB Memory 500GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850

I'm not completely concerned with the i7 and think the i5 would be just fine, it's just for the same price give or take 100 I might as well get the quad core. There was also a Lenovo ideapad for 1100 I think with i7, 5650 graphics and 8gb of ram. What are your thoughts? I'm looking to purchase in the next 1-2 months. Thanks

-Chris

The ASUS looks pretty.

Anyway, the larger the screen, more the weight. The Toshiba 18" would be very heavy. Like going to a Lan party
The 17's are good, but the i5's are just a little under it. If the MSI is alright for you, I'd pick it.
The ASUS and Toshiba are well matched. I am unaware what the difference between the 720 and 740 is.

Personally I would go with the MSI or Asus, as the warranties are longer. I have an Asus from last year and it has had a minor problem or two, but nothing too serious. A close friend has an MSI and he has had only minor issues. Asus tech support has been great for me, and the 1 year accidental is a huge plus as far as I am concerned. The toshiba's 18 inch screen is too much for me, plus it only has a 1 year warranty. The asus also has many more reviews and is holding at a solid 4 eggs, the other 2 havent really been reviewed. (you have probably thought about all of this, but this is just me thinking out-loud..or type?)

Anyways, you probably have made your decision by now, but my $.02

-Jmaloney

well, i wouldnt base my entire decision off of newegg reviews, but 200+ vs just 2 at first glance gives you a better idea. Indeed, a professional review is always better.

Hey thanks guys. I really like the Asus and MSI better myself and did a little more research on the Toshiba. Apparently its not getting the best reviews but people do say its nice when it works. The HP envy has a higher cost though. I used to have a nice HP laptop but it was outdated so I sold it. Appreciate the help and will be choosing the MSI or Asus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom