Whats causing the artifacts and subsequent crashing of the 4870?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think of buying a quality psu as just another item.... Psus can last a few upgrades of the other parts, so unlike a gpu, or cpu, as long as the power out of it is good, you don't need to buy one when upgrading stuff.

Well as long as you don't overkill everything... But a decent 550W will power 75% of good single gpu systems.

Oh and i seriously doubt you have damage...

I like raidmax, they have a bad rep, but out of 6 of there power supplies, I have only had one die, it was the Raidmax Aurora 1.0, I am running the 2.0, and it seems to hold up nicely.

But, mainstream brands are something you may wanna lean towards.

What do you all think of this powersupply? Newegg.com - RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-630SS 630W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Modular LED Power Supply Am I more safe getting a more expensive OCZ Psu than that one? Money is kind of tight but if I don't have any other choice i'll probably get a more expensive one.

Heres a quick leason in psus... No one seems to explain out things.

Your current psu is 550W &31Amps. Which is the right amount of Watts for your setup, but the Amps are low.
The raidmax is 630W and 2 22Amp lines, so not quite 40Amps total.

Now look at the Antec muffin posted. 520W and 40Amps. So, alittle less Watts than your powerup, and the same Amps as the raidmax, but the raidmax has 110Ws more power. From this you can see that the Antec puts out alot better power, and is reguarded as a better psu.

OCZ has some nice sales on right now, a 600W for 49.99, a 550W for 39.99 all with free shipping. Not sure vwhat your budget is, but if you want, give a price, and we can maximize your money.

I think it's more how the power is divided up, more amps isn't necessarily "better power" as the power (watts) is directly related to volts and amps (P = I*V, Power(W) = Current(A) * Voltage(V)). Since voltage is constant (-12V, -5V, 3.3V, 5V, and 12V on ATX) the wattage listed on the PSU is just the sum of all rails voltage times current. For a graphics card you will want a lot of amps on the 12V rail as graphics cards only use 12V, the 3.3V isn't as important and the 5V is mainly used on the motherboard so you don't need as many amps on these rails.

Overall the amps list where the power is available, if the amps on the 12V rails are low then it probably isn't a good power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom