Whats causing the artifacts and subsequent crashing of the 4870?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The card doesn't even boot up anymore. I get artifacts on the windows splash screen. I can't test temps.

Currently looking for my mini screwdriver so i can check up on the thermal paste I applied.. to make sure it didnt burn up or something..

I get the "Get a new PSU" thing. But what is that supposed to do? Prevent future hardware problems? Or fixing the current problem? Because if it's the latter, then I would like you all to know that this has been a deteriorating thing. It didn't start out like this, it slowly came to be to what it is now, which is a useless graphics card. I used to be able to actually use it. Yes on the ****ty 550 watt off brand PSU. And when i returned the first 4870, the XFX tests ruled that the card was faulty.. aka damaged? I trust you all, it just feels like you're missing some things..

Your PSU may be the fault that your 4870 is bad. Get a ne PSU pronto. We can't say what it will do for you. We can only say what has happened.

I too think the PSU could be the problem, a PSU can definitely fail gradually especially a cheapo one like you have. Cheap PSU's usually have low quality capacitors (the electrical components responsible for filtering and stabilizing the output power) and these low quality capacitors are prone to gradual failure. If you want, take your PSU out and leave it sit for a while to discharge, then take it apart and remove the cover. Don't touch any components on the board but look for the capacitors (round cylinder looking parts usually with a metallic circle on top). If there is orange colored stuff leaking out of the tops of the capacitors or the tops look like they have bulged out the capacitors are failing. As capacitors get worse they can't handle as much current (amps) and the power output is no longer smooth (it can have power spikes), components do not like unstable power and can have errors, especially graphics cards which use a ton of power.

We can't say 100% what the issue is, but a cheap power supply is often the cause of problems. Buy a good 550-650W PSU from a quality brand (Corsair, Antec, etc, I think Rosewill's more expensive PSU's are good but they do make some cheap ones that you should avoid) and see if that solves your problem. If the card isn't overheating or overclocked I doubt the card itself is faulty.

Along with above, wrote while i typed

Okay.. A new psu should solve the artifacting of the 4870..

Now; The psu says its suppose to putout 550W and 32Amps. realistically, its probably pushing out abunch less, under 500W. Your card needs 500W, stated by ATI, realistically 425W and decent amps.

Whats probably happening is the lack of proper power, the card is screwing up and showing artifacts.
Now overtime, running electronics at near max wears out the parts. Sonow your psu is outputing even less, causing more issues.

Newegg currently has OCZ 550Ws on for 49.99 and 500W for 39.99. All have 10+Amps on the rails.

I don't know what the exact spec's of your card is so all these numbers are just being used as an example. And I'm using overclocking as a scenario to your problem, I'm not saying your overclocking

A card is designed to run at 500 core speed and 500 memory speed with a 500 watt PS with 25amps on the 12v line. Normally most cards can run faster than the stock settings at the recommended voltages, but at some point the card will start producing artifacts. Normally, if your temperatures are under control, you can increase the voltage to the card and the artifacts will go away (if you have the option to increase the volts).

^^Do you understand what I'm saying?^^

Now lets put this in a different perspective. The card is set to a 500 core and a 500 memory but instead of the 500 watt PS with 25 amps on the 12volt line we have 400 watts with 20 amps on the 12 volt line. Suddenly the card is in the same situation as the overclocked card I described above. It's speeds are beyond the limit 400 watts and 20 amps can maintain. If you can lower the clock speeds the card may temporarily quit producing artifacts, but because the power supply is failing it will probably continue to produce less and less power. And at some point the power level may get so low that the card will produce artifacts regardless of how low you set the clock speeds.

Is a new power supply a guaranteed cure? No it isn't, but until you try a new power supply and see what happens next were all just making wild guesses.

I see. Finally something that actually makes sense to me. What happens in the event that I buy a quality brand PSU and the card continues to show artifacts? Obviously that means it's permanently damaged? I'll go ahead and invest the money in a good power supply as soon as possible. And thank you all for your help, especially the last few posters who actually explained why the power supply could be the issue, now I have some real incentive to replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom