$1000 Gaming PC - Advice Please :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
im going to have to disagree with you there Calc. an OS will only take up 40 gigs max, and that will leave you with plenty of space for a few games and applications.

You really don't want to "fill" one totally up either. A SSD doesn't work like a regular hard drive, for example, it can't just overwrite a file. It has to verify that the block is empty 1st, if it has data in it then it has to verify whether it's good data or if it's been marked for deletion. If it's been marked for deletion then the block has to be wiped clean before the new data can be written. The wiping the block clean is an extra step the regular hard drive doesn't have to do. With a "bare" SSD or a larger SSD with a lot of free space this is kept to a minimum in Windows 7 because of the TRIM command which will perform the wipe when a file is deleted instead of waiting until a write command is given. But if the drive is almost full then almost every write will involve moving data around and the wipes are suddenly a step that is required every time.

Eh, I'd much rather have a pair of terrabyte drives in raid for performance instead of an SSD.

That's why I'm the King :thumbsup:

I have a SSD for my OS and main programs, another SSD for storing files and programs I don't use that often and a regular drive for deep storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom