Whats causing the artifacts and subsequent crashing of the 4870?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaskTool

In Runtime
I've been without my graphics card ever since it finally got artifacts about a month or two ago.

Recently however there was this game I really wanted to play but my onboard wasnt gonna cut it. I decided to put in the burned up 4870 and see how long it would work before displaying artifacts. It worked a really long time and the game worked perfectly at 61fps, and I kept the graphics card in. I underclocked it significantly to lower the temps, and the idle temp was around 50C which was absolutely amazing for the 4870 Ive never seen it go that low. However, after a while when i was sitting at the computer doing nothing, I got a screen full of artifacts. Before the computer crashed I clicked on Catalyst control to see the temps and it was at 54C. So it was at 54 while it was displaying artifacts which tells me it has nothing to do with heat? But my question is, isnt the heat the only thing that changes over time? Why was the card working perfect for like an hour or two but all of a sudden I have artifacts for no reason? I cant buy another 4870 because its likely going to have the same problems the first two did. Artifacts and all that. I just dont understand why. Even the my PSU is a cheap/offbrand one, I just dont understand why that would cause my graphics card to be permanently damaged.

When i first got the two 4870's the problems were just freezing and the computer would shut off during high performance demanding games. But it worked fine in non performance demanding games. Slowly but surely it started to crash on non performance demanding games until finally I got artifacts. And now I get artifacts every single time I have the card in eventually. So theres likely some permanent damage done, and the card is unusable. Its just hard for me to accept it, because if I buy a new graphics card I can expect it to have the same problems. I dont feel like playing with that kind of money. Is there any 100% sure way to know that I wont have problems? Besides rebuilding a new pc from scratch? Would a motherboard/PSU replacement be good enough? Is the 4870 permanently damaged? or is there a way to salvage it? I voided my warranty by removing the heatsink/fan and applying new thermal paste, but if I sent the card in, would they be able to tell it was tampered?

I've been without my graphics card ever since it finally got artifacts about a month or two ago.

Recently however there was this game I really wanted to play but my onboard wasnt gonna cut it. I decided to put in the burned up 4870 and see how long it would work before displaying artifacts. It worked a really long time and the game worked perfectly at 61fps, and I kept the graphics card in. I underclocked it significantly to lower the temps, and the idle temp was around 50C which was absolutely amazing for the 4870 Ive never seen it go that low. However, after a while when i was sitting at the computer doing nothing, I got a screen full of artifacts. Before the computer crashed I clicked on Catalyst control to see the temps and it was at 54C. So it was at 54 while it was displaying artifacts which tells me it has nothing to do with heat? But my question is, isnt the heat the only thing that changes over time? Why was the card working perfect for like an hour or two but all of a sudden I have artifacts for no reason? I cant buy another 4870 because its likely going to have the same problems the first two did. Artifacts and all that. I just dont understand why. Even the my PSU is a cheap/offbrand one, I just dont understand why that would cause my graphics card to be permanently damaged.

When i first got the two 4870's the problems were just freezing and the computer would shut off during high performance demanding games. But it worked fine in non performance demanding games. Slowly but surely it started to crash on non performance demanding games until finally I got artifacts. And now I get artifacts every single time I have the card in eventually. So theres likely some permanent damage done, and the card is unusable. Its just hard for me to accept it, because if I buy a new graphics card I can expect it to have the same problems. I dont feel like playing with that kind of money. Is there any 100% sure way to know that I wont have problems? Besides rebuilding a new pc from scratch? Would a motherboard/PSU replacement be good enough? Is the 4870 permanently damaged? or is there a way to salvage it? I voided my warranty by removing the heatsink/fan and applying new thermal paste, but if I sent the card in, would they be able to tell it was tampered?

Please can you post the full specifications of your system Including your PSU. First thing I'll say is... GET A GOOD BRANDED PSU!!!!!!!!! Such as OCZ, Seasonic, Corsair, Tagan, Coolermaster, Thermaltake, etc.

Also download Hardware Monitor and take a printscreen of your temps and post them here. Are all of your drivers up to date too?

I built my computer in 2009.

system specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
Intel DG31PR Office Motherboard
4gb Nvidia OCZ 800mhz Performance Ram

Power-UP! 550W PSU
Unnamed DVD/Optical Drive
Unnamed 150GB HDD non sata

Unusable:
XFX HD 48701gb

Please be aware that I asked for help on here so many times before the card became unusable and everyones advice was to get a better PSU. However that just doesn't seem right to me. I couldn't find anything that justified getting a new PSU. I could think maybe the motherboard played a part, but I think its too late now because the permanent damage is most likely already done to the card.. Can anyone verify this?

Please do not take our advice lightly. 9/10 we are right. You are using non-standard parts, so you are going to run into problems.

Ok, but do you mind answering my question? Which was, at what point do we say that the card is permanently damaged and cannot be used no matter what hardware changes are made? Is it safe to say that now?

PS:

I downloaded hardware monitor and am about to attempt to get the card in and report the temps.

How are you powering your card? 1 pci-e and 1, 4-6 adapter?

You have a beast of a card, but a crap psu.. yes 550W, and the 4870 needs only 500W. BUT only 32Amps. A 550W corsair is packing 41Amps.
500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)

Still betting your psus struggling to output the right amount of power when you push it hard.

Edit

Took to long researching..

If its a psu issue, than no perminate damage can happen.. Onnly too much power hurts, i.e. spikes.

Yeah i'm using one of the PSU's PCI connectors and i'm using a 2xmolex to pci adapter to power the card. If the power supply isn't the problem then what is? The heat? Maybe the heat was causing all of the crashes up until it caused permanent damage? Is that possible? I thought the card shut itself off before any perm damage could be done?

I highly doubt you have damage.

The most likely cause is the lack of umph, aka Amps, and a inefficent psu.

Your psu most likey does not even make 500W. This is a common low end psu issue.

A

Plus you're also using a intel motherboard, which are quite bad.

Take our advice, get a new BRANDED PSU, Like the ones I've mentioned, Install it, Test it. Then come back and tell us how it goes.

Sorry if that sounds blunt but that's the only advice I can offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom