Dell Studio XPS 1640 Touchpad Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

sec5197

Beta member
Hello,

Not sure if this should be posted her as it may actually be a software issue but this is what's going on. I have a Dell Studio XPS 1640 running windows 7 64-bit. Since I have owned the computer I have had a problem with the touchpad when coming out of sleep. About 1/3 of the time I wake the computer up from sleep, the touchpad is unresponsive. In order to get it working again I use the keyboard to put the computer back into sleep and then wake it back up again. This doesn't always work but it usually does. I have the most up-to-date BIOS, the newest synaptics driver from the synaptics website, and I also just did a clean install of Windows 7 hoping this would resolve the issue, which it did not. I really don't think it is a hardware issue, seems more like a software issue, as if the driver is just not loading sometimes when coming out of sleep. This is driving me crazy and is really a pain. Anybody have any other thoughts on something I can try to resolve this issue? Thank you!

Have you ever heard of the power schemes settings for windows 7 ?
Try this go to your main screen to start the button go to control panel, go to power options.
Then choose balanced power save options, change plan settings, hit never turn off monitor.
Other option below it hit never turn off computer or put computer sleeo after number of hours that will shut it up for good and prevent some problems.
Just remember if you do the samethings with netbooks or laptops the options will be different and you have to remember when you want it on or off due to whatever stuff your doing on your pc's.

Let me know if that helps and welcome to tech-forums.

Thank you for your fast response and welcoming me to the forum. I am aware that I could disable the sleep feature through power options but I like to be able to just shut the laptop and open it back up without having to wait for it to boot up as I am on and off the laptop all the time throughout the day. I was hoping I could somehow resolve the issue causing the touch pad to be unresponsive sometimes and still be able to use the sleep feature. The laptop is also still under warranty for another 60 days but I really don't think it seems like a hardware issue.

hmm well your last post kind of got me, whenever you ever change the power saving features in windows 7, if you tell windows don't turn off my hdd, monitor or pc it will be fullied powered up.
The only thing I can recommend is do it like me change the features for now like I mentioned when your not at home or work, shut the lid the down and it will be still be active.
The screen saver will turn on but when you touch the screen, keyboard or in your case touch pad it will go back to windows immediatley.
Mak, might know something of what you want to do, but thats is good as it will get for now.
If your outside working on your laptop and need to have it on sleep mode to save power that would be good remember lappys batteries don't survive forever without a cord and socket.... ;)

Yea i would prefer if the laptop wasn't left on all day which is why I would like to find a resolution as to why the touch pad does not work after sleep sometimes. Thank you very much for your input...I have seen several other people with a similar problem but nobody seems to have found a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom