External GPU on laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

chanchan05

In Runtime
Ok, so I have this 2008 model HP pavilion which had the burned out Nvidia problem. I really think its a real waste as it still looks good and well, performs well enough. I am thinking of recycling it, but the fact that replacing its board will only be good for like a few months, I wondered what would happen if I slapped on an external GPU like the one MSI announced last May. Would the thing work since after all, the only problem with the unit is a burned out GPU.

AFAIK, that is impossible unless you had a laptop specialized for that. The only possibility would be to buy the exact graphic card for your version, and replace it yourself.

AFAIK, that is impossible unless you had a laptop specialized for that. The only possibility would be to buy the exact graphic card for your version, and replace it yourself.

You really need to first research what the subject is before you start to type... Seriously, as this topic has very little to do with the internal gpu.
MSI Shows External Graphics Card w/ATI

Now, back to the topic...... Are they even sold yet? You could go with a EVGA UV setup...
EVGA | Products | Product List

Which are avaliable, and much cheaper.

They should work, as you said, its not running the video card, so why not..

I know there was also the Asus's XG Station that was released for a short time in late 08 and discontinued in 09. So yeah if it is just the video than it will work.

Oh they're not yet available? I had thought they were since ASUS announced one last year and MSI again this year. I did not know that ASUS stopped producing it....=p

From my research on the subject it was announced that ASUS had stopped producing them. Since they were using an 8 Series nVidia card and the laptops started to come with them by default there was no need to make them anymore. MSI is the only one now and they are not out yet. So you have to wait for MSI to release it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom