New Mobo. and Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amidamaru

In Runtime
Im thinking of upgrading my PC for Xmas. At the minute i have only a SiS730S motherboard which only supports AGP 2x and has a AMD Anthon 1500+ or similar at 1.2ghz.

I'm wondering what motherboard i should get which is quite near the top, doesn't need to be the best but supports AMD processors because i want to get a AMD Anthon 64 or something like that processsor, but i dont want to be paying absolutely a lot of money too but i want it pretty good. I live in UK so please if you can only tell me ones that have been released in the UK.

Also, I want to know if the cables and that from my old pc should be ok with the new motherboard or will i need to pay for them too. I don't want to be 'ripped off' when buying some of this stuff. Some computer repair guys think they're all that and try misleading you, i dont want this to happen and want some knowledge before hand.

get an asus or gigabyte amd 64 mobo for like around 130$usd and then a amd 64bit 939skt for around 290$

dont know about any sites that sell to uk cuz i've never tried.

-Corey

i think alot of sites will ship to uk from us, you may pay extra but it could be worth it in the long run... also your power cables, speakers, mouse, keyboard and all that should work... i like to keep my ide cables and such from old computers they should work too if you go for the same type of drives. you will prolly want a new grafix card to go with your new stuff too, from what ive seen the ATI x800 is at the top of the line right now even tho lots will tell you to go nvidia.

also i would definitely get a board that supports dual channel memory, i wouldnt go for pcie(pci express) the additional bandwidth it will bring to graphix is totally unnecessary for the coming years.

Hope i helped a little, im no computer whiz...

get an asus or gigabyte amd 64 mobo

Hell no! DO NOT get either of those boards. Both are ridiculously crappy. ASUS sucks balls and has been for a while now. Their quality has gone way downhill and after this post I expect Ag3 to step in and backup this claim. Also I expect him to backup the claim that gigabyte boards do not support the latest and fastest low timings.

Go with an Abit or MSI Board. Try to go for a Socket 939 as those will be better in the long run because AMD will upgrade them and they support dual Channel. Both mobo's are about $125 US and the cheapest socket 939 chip is the 3500+ I believe at $350 US.

If you go with either manufacturer and socket 939 get the ABit AV8-3rd Eye or the MSI Neo2-Platinum. I just built a 64 system with the MSI Neo2-Platinum and it's EXCELLENT. It's corecenter program reads your temps and fan speeds quite nicely and it has quite a bit of options in the BIOS if you chose to overclock.

Conclusion: Socket 939, ABit AV8-3rd Eye, or MSI Neo2-Platinum

EDIT: BTW, if you can mustar up cash for a SATA 10,000 RPM drive you should go for it. They are amazing. Windows is up and loaded in about 15 seconds. Real quick load times, file copy times, and installation times. Really comes in handy on that first format with windows updates and restarts galore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom