What CPU Cooler should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhOsT1321

Daemon Poster
My Computer Case is the Antec 300 Illusion.
My Processor is the AMD Athlon 635.

First, I really thought that the Scythe Katana 3 would work out, but then I read a few people saying that it is great for dual cores, but not very good for quad cores.

I am looking at the following coolers because they seem quality and I'm pretty sure they would fit in my case.
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm
ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball
Tuniq Tower 120 Universal

I prefer the cooler to not be very audible, I would say about 35db or less. However I am more concerned with cooling than noise, but sometimes when I am at home and there is no ambient noise what-so-ever, and that is when fan noise starts to bother me.
You're welcome to suggest any cooler in my budget range.
MY BUDGET IS $50, US currency.

Thank you

I have the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro. Keeps my Q9550 (3.57Ghz) at around 42 idle.

I used to have a Zalman 9500 (smaller version of the same cooler) and I was unable to hear it run at all.

The Tuniq is 6.12" tall. The Zalman is 5.68" tall. The AC Freezer 7 is 5.06" tall. The only one you would need to measure for would be the Tuniq so as to make sure you have enough room (and don't have to send it back like I did because I forgot to inlude my mobo and CPU in my figures).

I used to have a Zalman 9500 (smaller version of the same cooler) and I was unable to hear it run at all.

The Tuniq is 6.12" tall. The Zalman is 5.68" tall. The AC Freezer 7 is 5.06" tall. The only one you would need to measure for would be the Tuniq so as to make sure you have enough room (and don't have to send it back like I did because I forgot to inlude my mobo and CPU in my figures).

I will measure to make sure that the coolers fit before I purchase it, thank you for the height of each cooler. Once I get home, I will do one final look over them and then choose one. I will post which one I choose, then later I will post how it performs.

I will measure to make sure that the coolers fit before I purchase it, thank you for the height of each cooler. Once I get home, I will do one final look over them and then choose one. I will post which one I choose, then later I will post how it performs.

I have the artic cooler pro v2 which you are looking at, very quiet, keeps my AMD athlon 6000 at 20c Idle ( This is a 3ghz chip, which also runs quite hot, I think yours may run cooler as it's 45nm.) - Though I'm using AMD cool `n quiet to underclock it, under stress it hits around 38c.

I should have just enough room for the Tuniq Tower 120 Universal. I think I will order the Tuniq Tower 120, and if it gives me any issues, then I may return it and get the Zalman.
Any second thoughts are appreciated.

After bouncing back and forth between the 3, I ended up losing my sanity and ordering one.
I picked the Zalaman 9700, the voice in my head wouldn't leave me alone until I ordered something.
Hope all goes well, I will keep you guys updated.
Et tu, Brute?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom