Suggestion

Gordylll

In Runtime
Ok so in my short time here I have become very fond of this site. Mainly because of the no holds, no bs, no "Hey ATI sent us these to test last month lets recomend their stuff to the community" crap answers for peoples questions. I was out in Afghanistan doing Army stuff the last few days and came back to get caught back up on my favorite forums. Not to my surprise a lot of questions are the same (not that there is anything wrong with that). My suggestion:

Have some of the regulars/smart people Slaymate, Sean W, Muffin Man, Paton, Soulphire ect (I know there are more). Update builds monthly in a locked post. For example Custom High Performance PC of the month 2000.00 +
Custom High Performance PC of the month 1500-1999
Custom High Performance PC of the month 1000-1499
Custom High Performance PC of the month 599-999

With that in mind from what I can tell of the community most of us are not well enough off to rock duel Ares in our builds and 3 x 30" 3D screens. The best part is that most of us suggest builds that are aimed at money = performance rules. This would at least give a starting build for people to look at and then if they have questions on changes, want to figure out how to get just under 2k but get the performance, or just think something is wrong they can post that?? Just something I had seen at another site but its always tainted with sponsorship. I think one more fair rule if this were to be taken onboard would be not to include combo's ect/rebates. Even if you dont do this and are mean to me about it I am still coming to the boards until I am banned!!! (dont ban me please lol)

Ok so in my short time here I have become very fond of this site. Mainly because of the no holds, no bs, no "Hey ATI sent us these to test last month lets recomend their stuff to the community" crap answers for peoples questions. I was out in Afghanistan doing Army stuff the last few days and came back to get caught back up on my favorite forums. Not to my surprise a lot of questions are the same (not that there is anything wrong with that). My suggestion:

Have some of the regulars/smart people Slaymate, Sean W, Muffin Man, Paton, Soulphire ect (I know there are more). Update builds monthly in a locked post. For example Custom High Performance PC of the month 2000.00 +
Custom High Performance PC of the month 1500-1999
Custom High Performance PC of the month 1000-1499
Custom High Performance PC of the month 599-999

With that in mind from what I can tell of the community most of us are not well enough off to rock duel Ares in our builds and 3 x 30" 3D screens. The best part is that most of us suggest builds that are aimed at money = performance rules. This would at least give a starting build for people to look at and then if they have questions on changes, want to figure out how to get just under 2k but get the performance, or just think something is wrong they can post that?? Just something I had seen at another site but its always tainted with sponsorship. I think one more fair rule if this were to be taken onboard would be not to include combo's ect/rebates. Even if you dont do this and are mean to me about it I am still coming to the boards until I am banned!!! (dont ban me please lol)

Nobody is going to be mean to you about a suggestion (it would be against our rules and they would be more likely to get banned than you are).

We have had a number of suggested components / suggested build threads but the problem seems to be keeping them up to date. For good reasons, the editing window for a post is 24 hours and after this time only a staff member can update it.

Another thing to consider is people are viewing the site from all over the world and may not have access to the parts suggested. So while a part that is in the build for the $599 - $999 price range for the PC listed might not keep that PC in that range in the UK or Australia or other parts of the world. Cause just 1 component costing more in a different part of the world can throw a build out of 1 price range and into another.

It is for such reasons that we have lists of good parts like PSU's and a GPU list and stuff like that so people can see what is good and go from there based on their geographical location.

Another thing is while we may not be partial to sponsorship, the builds suggested may not be what that person is looking for either. They maybe pro-AMD or pro-Intel and not want a build with the other company. Same could be said of going with nVidia or ATi.

So i can see where your suggestion has value, but i can also see that being a world wide site it is hard to do a legit build that is going to be the same world wide. There are so many factors that weight into it.

The other thing too, Newegg, NCIX, and the other online shops put out great deals that take a normally out of reach item, into the realm of pssibility.

With that, everyone will always help suggest a build to someone based on budget and intended use.

Very good point Mak I really didn't take the world wide variable into account. Well I am good with the site the way it is just wanted to make it easier on the folks who are always suggesting build ideas :grin:

Well we did try to take into account the world wide aspect when we made a thread for online vendors around the world. Cause not all sites are world wide or ship world wide. Which is why our site is unique. We cater each build to the person asking. We find out what they are looking to do, what their price range is and go from there. This way they get a system that is right for them. Not just a generic build. If we wanted that, we could go to Dell. ;)

Back
Top Bottom