Looking for 140mm fan and what's best, negative or positive air flow in case and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi all! Looking for a good 140mm fan for the bottom slot on my Sniper Black Edition Computer Case. Any good suggestions?

Also, what's best, positive or negative air flow in the computer case and why is one better than the other?

Soar

PS Positive - there is more fresh air coming into the case than there is hot air exiting the case. Basically, the CFM from intake fans exceeds the CFM from exhaust fans.

Negative - there is more air exiting the case via exhaust fans than fresh air entering the case via intake fans and vents. The CFM for exhaust fans exceeds the CFM from intake fans.

Re: Looking for 140mm fan and what's best, negative or positive air flow in case and

i like positive airflow because there is fresh cool air forcing the hot air out the case...

Re: Looking for 140mm fan and what's best, negative or positive air flow in case and

i like positive airflow because there is fresh cool air forcing the hot air out the case...

Sean,

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure which way to go on this positive/negative airflow. I did just find a forum that had some interesting info: EggXpert - Positive air flow vs. Negative air flows.

It's Newegg's forum and it made me think. What do you think of this guy's tests and conclusions?

Soar

PS Presently, my CM Sniper Black Editions are set up like this:

200mm front in
200mm side in
200mm top out
120 back out

So I think this would be 400+ with a 320- = +80 [Positive Airflow]. The Sniper comes set up like this new in the box. But they also give an option for a 140mm on the bottom, set up as either in or out. This gives me the option of setting the case up as either a negative or positive airflow. I am presently leaning toward having the bottom fan as another intake fan because it would blow directly on the GPU. I am just trying to figure out which way would be best on that 140mm bottom fan. Another consideration is what type of air is found under the case, because this is where the 140mm fan would draw the air. I think the PSU located on the bottom of the case is taking air in from underneath, and exhausting the hot air out the back? Anyone know if I am correct in assuming this?

im sorry my friend, my wisdom teeth are comming in and it hurts to much to read all that...

i like having as much intake as possible, i have 379 cfm of intake and 222 cfm of exhaust

im sorry my friend, my wisdom teeth are comming in and it hurts to much to read all that...

i like having as much intake as possible, i have 379 cfm of intake and 222 cfm of exhaust

Sean, you may want to have your wisdom teeth taken out, especially if they are altering the existing structure of your teeth. I heartily recommend that you see a good dentist.

And yes, I see that you enjoy positive intake vs. negative.

Soar

I'm a negative guy :p but really, it depends on your case and the layout of the components inside.

I'm a negative guy :p but really, it depends on your case and the layout of the components inside.

S0ULphIRE, Ok, I give up....what type of case are you using there? And what would you recommend for a Sniper BE case?

Soar

I believe S0ul is currently using a HAF932. It's negative for me also. There's not going to be a lot in it but my thinking is that maybe convection would be worse in higher pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom