Airflow dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrewAPicture

Beta member
Hey everybody, new guy here.

I'm doing my second build and have discovered I may have an airflow problem.

Here's the specs on what I'm working with:

Case: CM HAF-X
Mobo: ASUS M4A88TD-V (AM3)
CPU: AMD Phenom II 965 x4
Heatsink: AC Freezer 64 Pro

On the mobo, the cpu socket is really a little too close to the DIMM slots. See here.

The mount is parallel to those DIMM slots which would mean that if I mount the heatsink as it should be, it will hang over the DIMMs and I may lose a slot (or g*d forbid, 2). If I mount it backwards, there's no overhand issues, but it would be directly competing with the 120mm exhaust fan on the back of the case.

So should I mount it facing correctly and sacrifice a DIMM slot or let it compete with the exhaust fan? Any and all feedback is welcome. Thanks.

Unless you have some tall DIMMs you should be OK. I am looking at mine right now (very similar board, ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO). The guard overhangs my RAM but the fan is about 1/4" away from it. I can't see if the fan would clear the DIMM or not but it looks like it would. I am running these DIMMs.

Haha wow, that's funny. That's the same exact RAM I've got for this build. It looks like on your board that the DIMM slots are about 1/4" farther away than on mine so I may indeed have to sacrifice a slot, or get a different heatsink, but I'm really happy with the freezer 64 pro. Thanks for the quick reply.

Threw on the two cheaper sticks of 1600 and the heatsink. Boy was THAT a tight fit, thought I would almost crack the mobo.

Anyway, looks like it just barely clears. Thanks for the heads up Trotter. You can see what it looks like on my board Here (PIC).

I have the same cooler and problem. The ram will fit and the cooler will too but its real tight. I loosened up my screws on the bracket 2-4 turns and now i can slide a piece of paper through.

sorry just looked at your pic and the cooler is not facing the same as mine. the fan on mine is pointing down it looks like your mobo is set up the same as mine but your fan is blowing to the back where mine is blowing to the top.

I never noticed that your cooler bracket was mounted that way, Matt. Strange that they did it completely backwards from everyone else. At least it is blowing to an exhaust fan, though.

I'm glad it worked out for you, Drew.

I've never had a board that oriented it that way. As long as you have a fan up there it would work fine. Mine blows directly at my rear exhaust.

It all depends on the socket location. Sometimes the Northbridge heatsink will get in the way and force you to only have one way to orient it. And ramsinks can also cause problems with some heatsinks. I always try to point the cpu exhaust towards the case's rear exhaust fan or I aim it at the top of the case. If you aim it at the top of the case you should add an exhaust fan to the Top Panel if you don't already have one. I would never aim the cpu exhaust down, never.

I didn't mean my exhaust was down. My fan exhausts towards the top with a top fan. However this does not pull air over the RAM DIMMs like a rear exhaust setup and I didn't know if that would cause problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom