Build for a cousin/advice on buying

Status
Not open for further replies.

fairfieldfalconsfan

In Runtime
My cousin and I both like messing with computers and fixing up old ones. He recently told/showed me an ebay listing where a guy would build a custom PC to your order that your configured online. I have doubts about buying a PC on eBay but the guy does have 100% feedback. I think it would be better for him to buy the parts and build it himself but he thinks it would cost more and it might not work when he is done. This PC would be used mostly for gaming and maybe some internet browsing/online video streaming (maybe?).

Here is the link for the PC that he customized online:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 4GB DDR3 500GB HDD NVIDIA GTS 250 - eBay (item 110586394113 end time Sep-17-10 17:24:00 PDT)

Just in case the link doesn't work here are the specs:

AMD QUAD X4 PHENOM II 955 AM3 COMPUTER SYSTEM PC NEW

AMD CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 Quad-Core Processor 965 (3.4GHz) AM3

AMD CPU FANS: AMD STANDARD COOLING FAN

AMD DDR3 MOTHERBOARDS: Asus M4N68T-M Socket AM3/ GeForce 7025/ DDR3-1800(O.C.)/ A&V&GbE

DDR3 DUAL CHANNEL MEMORY: 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel

HARD DRIVES 1: 500GB 16MB CACHE SATA 7200rpm

OPTICAL DRIVE 1: 22X DVD-RW DUAL LAYER W/LIGHTSCRIBE

PCI-EXPRESS VIDEO CARDS: nVidia GeForce GTS250 1GB DDR3 DVI/VGA SLI PCI-EXP Video Card

SOUND CARDS: REALTEK 8-CHANNEL DIGITAL SOUND (ONBOARD)

NETWORK CARDS: REALTEK GIGABIT 10/100/1000 ETHERNET (ONBOARD)

CASES: BCC VOYAGER MID-TOWER ATX

POWER SUPPLY: 550 WATT ATX POWER SUPPLY (BASIC LOAD)

All Systems Are Brand New !!!

3 - Year Warranty +

Lifetime of Free Technical Support included w/every system

Price: $606.00 + Free Shipping

I am hoping you guys can build an equal or better system for around the same price. I think his top budget would be around $650 (lower is better). He doesn't have a preference of Intel or AMD. He doesn't need a monitor, keyboard, speakers or mouse he just needs the tower.

I don't have time to make a new build, and I'm no AMD expert, but I think you would be better off building yourself. For instance what's the brand of the RAM, HDD, PSU? A PSU isn't something you should cheap out, it's one of the most important component of a computer, you should look for brands like Corsair, OCZ, Seasonic.

You know that saying about when things seem too good to be true? Well I can't say that I've ever dealt with whoever this guy on eBay is, but it sounds a little sketchy. I agree that you should build it yourself. Quality control in non-flashy/in-your-face parts (i.e. psu, ram, cooling, etc.) is one of the most important aspects of a custom build. Now I can't say for sure that you'll be able to beat this eBay guy's price, $606 seems on the low end for a gaming box, which is part of why this seems a little too good to be true in my opinion. I would shop between newegg, tigerdirect, microcenter, and whatever local computer parts stores you have around you. Especially check out microcenter for things like optical drives and hdd's, they sell a lot of oem parts for really good prices. Also, does this build he quoted you include an OS? Windows 7 Ultimate OEM costs about $171 on newegg. If I were building a new box I would dual boot with that and ubuntu, but that's just me. Keep us posted!

Sorry I forgot to mention that he doesn't need an OS. I agree with both of you on the brand problems. The only thing is I don't think he wants to go a lot higher on price but then he'll probably need a new PC in a year if this one breaks down. I am hoping to get some full builds to show him on here cause I don't think he wants to have to try to match up parts online, but I trust the builders on here for compatibility.

PSU+HDD: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! - $152.98
Mobo+CPU: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! - $245.98 (This mobo supports usb3.0 and sata 6.0 GB\s)
RAM+Case: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! - $118.98 (Don't know if this case is good or not but I think it will do)
GPU: Newegg.com - ASUS ENGTS250/DI/512MD3/WW GeForce GTS 250 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - $109.99
DVD Reader: Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Writer - Bulk - LightScribe Support - CD / DVD Burners - $19.99 (Any brand will do, if you can get a cheaper one go ahead)
NIC+Sound: Onboard.

Total: $647.93 (haven't count with mail rebates)

It's a little more expensive than the one you pointed out but at least you're sure you're buying good parts. There may be combos that can make you save even more money.

Like I said I'm no AMD expert so I would wait for someone to give a second opinion, but I'm pretty sure these parts are better than the ones you pointed out.

Swap that hard drive for this one, same price with better performance and warranty:
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive

My experience with LG burners has been all bad. Spend the extra two bucks.
Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Writer - Bulk - LightScribe Support - CD / DVD Burners

He will want to look into a third party cooler for the CPU. Trust me on this one... the AMD fan sounds like a jet engine.

I have forwarded your advice to my cousin. I am not sure if he is going to buy one now or wait till later. I was thinking "Cyber Monday" might be a possibility to buy parts. Would that be a good idea? Are there normally sales on newegg for "Cyber Monday"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom