intermitant 1Tb hard drive with sensitive data? Do I destroy or Do I RMA?

What would you do?

• Send the drive off to RMA. RMA staff are trustworthy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • If I can not low level format the drive, destroy it even though it's still under warranty

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
Here is a problem that I was faced with this week. I got a 1Tb hard drive. It is intermitant as it will suddenly disappear from my system. Partition disappears from window and I am unable to detect the drive in BIOS.

To make matters worst, the last 10 years of my sensitive data is this drive. Least sensitive is my contacts and my emails. This is followed by serial numbers and activation keys for legit software which I have purchased. Then we have log in details for verios websites ranging from MMORPG logins to PayPal to Domain name keys. And to top is all off, all my Tax details, payslips, bills etc etc etc.

Thankfully I have been smart enough to back this drive up. And this drive is still under warranty with the manufacture.

If you were faced with this problem, what would you do?

Also any suggestions in order to get this drive to boot long enough so I can low level format it?

Quite honestly if you cant low level format the drive i would straight up destroy it with a couple of sledge hammers. Having that kind of sensitive data on there is not worth the risk. The only other option i can think of is trying to find the exact same make and model of the drive and replacing the board on the drive. This may allow the drive to continue to work. you may even be able to do it with enough care to be able to return the drive or RMA that one for repair.

R-Studio always works wonders for data recovery, but being as though you have your data backed up, you should be fine, although for security, i would run wipedrive or anything else to make sure your data is gone before you rma it.

Secure erase is free and zeros the drive to DOD standards. As long as your bios recognizes the drive you should be able to make it work.

Well, if you're taking a poll, I vote with Mak213, just flat out destroy the drive. If it's to the point that BIOS won't consistently recognize it and you already have the data backed up, 1TB drives aren't worth enough to risk all that sensitive data. Although, instead of a sledge hammer, I've always preferred a nice large electric drill. :)

Ya I'm going to have to agree if you can't format it or wipe it to a degree of comfort your best choice is destroy it. But Mak made a really good suggestion to replace the board and return the bad board on the new drive. So that might be an option but... its all you as far as what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom