Now I am confused - RAM issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

pro2a

In Runtime
As many of you know I've been having some memory issues. I ran Memtest and found there were 19 errors. :hrmph:

So first I pulled the two newest sticks of RAM since the issue began when I put them in. Then I mirrored the other 2. I ran a quick memory test and had no issues. Then I popped back in the other 2 and set the BIOS settings to default. I am running another memory test, and now surprisingly there are no errors.

I'm begining to wonder if my memory is fine, but my timings were screwed up somehow in BIOS, and now that the settings are on default the RAM is fine.

Any ideas?

cpu3.png
memory3.png
spd1.png

The last screen all 4 slots are identical.

The timings for your ram should be 5-5-5-18 not 5-5-5-15

Your ram is underclocked atm, it's at 800Mhz instead of 1066. On the second screen where it says "401.8" it should say "533". Adjust the frequency in your BIOS.

You should be running in Dual Channel mode, not sure why you're not already actually. Maybe a motherboard limitation with all slots filled? Off the top of my head I'm not sure, check your BIOS settings anyway.

Double check your voltage for the ram is set to 2.1v

If it matters any I dumbed down my frequency. I had it maxed out at 1066Mhz which is what my MoBo and memory can both support. Right now it appears to be set at 800Mhz and it is stable so far *knock on wood* Also both my MoBo and RAM support PC2-8500 and CPU-Z is saying the max is PC2-6400... I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

My memory test just finished and now everything is fine... :umm:

The only thing different I did this time is mirror the RAM (It's even the same brand and frequency) and set BIOS back to default.

Edit: I think I just found what is wrong by reading something on my motherboard manual:

"Due to AM2+/AM3 CPU limitation, only one DDR2 1200 (O.C.)/1066 DIMM is supported per channel. When four DDR2 1200 (O.C.)/1066 DIMM's are installed, all DIMMs run at 800Mhz frequency by default for system stability".

I think by forcing it to run at a higher frequency, it was giving me the dreaded BSoD... Now that it is set back to 800Mhz, everything is sunshine and kittens again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom