tell me what to build (wise ones)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 in both 32 and 64 bit for all (3) versions and I've ran a wide variety of different programs, games and benchmarks with all of them. Windows 7 is noticeably faster than XP and Vista in almost everything.

Security Issues and Glitches, I haven't had any problems. In fact most of the problems I've seen have been caused by, user input/lack of knowledge, and they affect every operating system. If it seems that Windows 7 has more problems than Vista it maybe that more people are using Windows 7 or more people skipped Vista and went to Windows 7.

Windows 8 isn't out, I definitely wouldn't wait on a product that hasn't had a large-scale beta test.

I don't think you'll find many people that will agree with you on any of your points.

Someone really doesn't study...

Please give us links to the sources where you hear this, AFAIK, they haven't even started to send out RC versions of Win8, and Mak would be going on, and on, and on about Win8 by now if that was the case.

I just don't see how we will skip 2 generations of programming in less than 4 months. :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_shader

Reason I didn't recommend Windows 7, is because it's practically the same OS as Windows VISTA, (I'm taking college courses specific to each operating system, I'm well aware of what Windows 7 has compared to VISTA)

Only real difference between VISTA and 7, is VISTAs user interface isn't as "user friendly" as 7 is, but the differences, unless you specifically study them as is, you wont even notice.

7, so far, because it's still so new, IMHO, I wouldn't waste money on it, not considering the security issues it's having, nor the glitches that are coming back and fourth.

Plus, all programs out, and all programs due to come out for a rather long time to come, VISTA has long life ahead of it.

Plus, considering Windows 8 is due out sometime next year, it would be pointless it get 7 this late.

Hate to be this blunt, but if you literally cannot see a night and day difference between Windows 7 and Vista you really don't belong in the IT industry

:-/

And again, considering 7 is everything Vista was supposed to be, and XP was around for nearly a decade, I can't see Microsoft rendering it obsolete this soon.

As far as differences between XP, VISTA and 7, pick up a command lines and user interface book on each, work them all out, and than feel free to tell me about the differences between them.

As far as speed. I find it funny you mention that. Either you have poor maintenance habits on your computers, or you're dreaming.

One poster said they studied the OSs? Please explain the differences between VISTA and 7. I can explain all of it, down to the reconfiguration of the user interface, (completely customize the entire layout from start menu to locations of files, icons, etc. all the way to the cammand line structure to undergo every operation they are capable of doing) I'm not new to the OSs.

As far as speed goes, on my Grandmothers Computer, it takes her 17 seconds from power button, to sign in screen. and 8 seconds from signing in, to all start up programs being loaded.

That's with XP. My brothers 7, no difference in times, nor does my own VISTA. Clearing temporary files, defragmenting, and compressing boot up files speeds up your comp astronomically, regardless of your OS. And again, not ONE second difference between either of them. Even with roughly the same programs, and even MORE data being on the XP vs the other two.

Speed isn't an issue at all between them. Fact you even mentioned it, means you really don't understand the OSs and how to configure them to promote speed.

Only changes Microsoft did to VISTA to MAKE IT into Windows 7, was reconfigure the User Interface, swap default locations for certain installation and batch files, and change a few command lines.

Of which, you can do to VISTA yourself. Heck, my Grandmothers XP is configured to mock a "copy" Windows 7. (just in appearance) so my Grandmother can navigate her computer better.

If you actually studied each OS, or any of you, you wouldn't have even come close to making the statements you've made.

As far as Windows 8, PC magezine had an article about it being due next fall (Late October) I can't post it, because I don't have a scanner.

I am waiting for mak to come here to put an end to miss-conceptions that you have about operating systems, Win7 =/= Vista, it was rebuilt from the ground up, the command line interface has nothing to do with how the operating systems handle resources nor anything else.

I am waiting for mak to come here to put an end to miss-conceptions that you have about operating systems, Win7 =/= Vista, it was rebuilt from the ground up, the command line interface has nothing to do with how the operating systems handle resources nor anything else.

Is Mak a MS Software Engineer?

If not, I'm waiting for a friend of mine to make an account on here. (Who was one of the programmers for Windows 7 itself)

The "Ground up" changes of VISTA to 7, really aren't that big. (hense how 7 came out roughly a year after VISTA)

Speed isn't an issue at all between them. Fact you even mentioned it, means you really don't understand the OSs and how to configure them to promote speed.

If you actually studied each OS, or any of you, you wouldn't have even come close to making the statements you've made.

It's really easy to make all of these wild claims. The day you or your Grandmother can figure out how to make a computer run as fast as I can is the day you might be right. I've been working on computers since the 1980's, I was tapping on a keyboard before you were even born.

PC Magazine can print anything they want, it doesn't make it true.

It's really easy to make all of these wild claims. The day you or your Grandmother can figure out how to make a computer run as fast as I can is the day you might be right. I've been working on computers since the 1980's, I was tapping on a keyboard before you were even born.

PC Magazine can print anything they want, it doesn't make it true.

Well aware of that.

No one's attacking anyones experience.

Don't quite understand why you feel defensive on such a benign topic.

I got a good rofl out of this thread :p now lets make sure this stays civil guys

ET/IT, couple of questions for you

1. What were you talking about when you posted this:
Video RAM 750 MB Hardware T&L Yes Pixel Shader version 8.0 Vertex Shader version 8.0

2. Why would you recommend buying Vista over 7? 7 IS a more optimised release and is ALSO the latest and most supported release.

hense how 7 came out roughly a year after VISTA
Windows 7: Oct 22 2009
Windows Vista: Jan 30 2007
So more like roughly 2.5 or 3 years mate

Tech-forums is a great place to learn, if you're unsure of something don't just type it out anyway. You could be giving out bad advice without knowing! Just say so if you're unsure of something and there will be plenty of people here willing to fill in any little gaps in your knowledge ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom