Webcam turning on when it wants to

Status
Not open for further replies.

KojiInari

Baseband Member
Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I assumed that it is, please let me know if I am wrong and where to post.

I just noticed today that my webcam light was on- something that only happens when I'm using the cam for something such as livestreaming or video chat... a little perturbed by the light being on, I went about closing every program on my computer that used a cam...and it was still on. Wierded out, I went and closed all applications running on my computer except AVG virus protection...and it was still on. I tried locking my computer, logging off, everything.... It only went off when I unplugged it. However, a few minutes after plugging it back in, it turned on again, almost like something was accessing the camera, such as a program.

I turned my computer off completely, waited a few minutes, then turned it back on. So far, no light unless I open up a video chat with someone.

Is it possible it was just a problem with the cam, or does this sound like a program hijacking the camera? I don't usually look up from my screen, so I honestly have no idea if it's happened before, though now that I've noticed it I'm keeping my eye on it...

Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I assumed that it is, please let me know if I am wrong and where to post.

I just noticed today that my webcam light was on- something that only happens when I'm using the cam for something such as livestreaming or video chat... a little perturbed by the light being on, I went about closing every program on my computer that used a cam...and it was still on. Wierded out, I went and closed all applications running on my computer except AVG virus protection...and it was still on. I tried locking my computer, logging off, everything.... It only went off when I unplugged it. However, a few minutes after plugging it back in, it turned on again, almost like something was accessing the camera, such as a program.
I turned my computer off completely, waited a few minutes, then turned it back on. So far, no light unless I open up a video chat with someone.

Is it possible it was just a problem with the cam, or does this sound like a program hijacking the camera? I don't usually look up from my screen, so I honestly have no idea if it's happened before, though now that I've noticed it I'm keeping my eye on it...

This has happened before to me, I think it's from power being stored in there somehow? Maybe it didnt power down properly when the computer shut down. Pretty much answered it yourself :
"I turned my computer off completely, waited a few minutes, then turned it back on. So far, no light unless I open up a video chat with someone. "

In device manager, is there a tab, in your webcam properties, for power management? "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

If so, uncheck that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom