Power problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

confused_again

Solid State Member
hey all, how you all doing, this is my first post,

Ok here goes my question, i'm a bit stuck...

My daughters pc just wouldn't shutdown the other day, so eventually i just pulled the plug,

now when you boot it up CPU fan goes, so motherboard is getting power HD lights don't come on and machine doesn't boot...

What would you say is the problem?

PSU or Motherboard shot?

I would first blame the PSU. For the reason that it is not starting up. Pulling the plug might have been the cause. I have seen this problem many times.

The reason why it won't shut down, my guess is a program crashed. Therefore it could not end it.

Do you have a speaker on it? That might be why you hear no beeps.

Try running on essentials, only PSU power, gfx card, and RAM. See if it changes anything.

Some motherboards will send beep codes through external speakers, but most, need to have an internal speaker hooked upto a set of pins on the motherboard.

To make sure, take the board to just the board, and CPU, along with the PSU, see if it powers up properly, and if you get beep codes, if nothing then either the CPU is dead, or the motherboard is shot, could be both.

If you get beep codes, throw some ram at it, and see how it responds, and slowly add parts back to it, also, look at the capacitors to see if the tops of them have bowed out any.

Yea, disconnect everything but the processor/heatsink/fan and see if you get beep codes, if you do, put your ram in, btw, if it has an integrated GPU, go ahead and hook the monitor up.

You need ram in it too.

Does the power supply have a switch on the back? if so first make sure its on, then flick it off and on.

Oh, and next time you don't shutdowsn, try holding the power button. It should safely shut off the power.

And thirdly, welcome to th forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom