Help me build my rig please

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr-drift

Beta member
Hi,
This will be my first computer build and i really need your guys help. i would like to only spend around +- $1200, I want to be able to play the more modern games such as fallout, crysis2 etc.. with all settings maxed out and with good to highest resolution on a 24" monitor. i dont need mouse, monitor, keybord or any of that. only the computer components.

I have built a computer that is a little above my proce point and wanted some feed back on the compadibality of the hardware and such... so here it is

Intel Core i7 930 Processor BX80601930 - 2.80GHz, 8MB L3 Cache, 4.8GT/s QPI, HyperThreading, Quad Core, Bloomfield, LGA 1366, Retail, Fan at TigerDirect.com

EVGA X58 SLI Motherboard - LGA 1366, Intel X58, SATA, SLI Ready, CrossFireX Ready, Triple Channel DDR3 support, RAID, Hyperthreading support at TigerDirect.com

Corsair XMS3 CMX6GX3M3A1600C9 Tri Channel 6GB PC12800 DDR3 Memory - 1600MHz, 6144MB (3 x 2048) at TigerDirect.com

XFX HD587XZNFC Radeon HD 5870 Video Card - 1GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0, CrossFireX Ready, Dual DVI, Display Port, HDMI at TigerDirect.com

2X Western Digital WD5001AALS Caviar Black Hard Drive - 500GB, 7200 rpm, 32MB, SATA-3G at TigerDirect.com

Cooler Master V8 CPU Fan - Socket 1366/775/AM2/AM2+,1156, AM3 120mm Fan, Modular Aluminum Fins at TigerDirect.com

Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower Black Case at TigerDirect.com

Now is there any place where i splurged and got something that was overpriced or not needed? Please help me with stuff you would of bought or changed to make this rig cheaper but still capable of handiling all the new games.

-thanks-

also get rid of the 2 WD caviars and get a single 1 TB WD caviar, you will save a lil on shipping and they are usually a better bang for your buck getting one 1tb drive over 2 500gb drives

Edit: also www.newegg.com usually has better prices

I didn't mean it was a bad cooler but getting the same performance for lower cost is a good idea no?

that cooler wont match the V8, it is significantly smaller, it uses 92mm fans, where as the V8 uses 120mm fans, more surface area = better cooling ;) but for the price of that one and for its foot print, it is a good cooler

oopsie.. that was the same power supply i was thinking on getting (would like a modular one tho) and i didnt post a optic drive because im just going to use the one thats on my current PC, sorry.. i knew i left some stuff out. oh and what about my mobo choice? is the X58 chip set really needed or could i just get the p55 (along with a i7 860) and save some cash.

also is there a more cost effective way to get some i7 power (aka compleatly different build) if so could you guys post up some builds

keep in mind that i want to play new/nex gen games with this and on high settings
-thanks-

single GPU, not a whole lot

multiple GPU, x58 wins

CF indicates 2 video cards.

20162.png

image courtesy of anandtech

nice chart, it really helped in my decision. since im probably not going to be running sli or crosfire i might as well go for the p55 and save some bills

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom