new build tell me what you think

Status
Not open for further replies.

john denver

Beta member
I plan on building this pretty soon main use will be a daily computer for web surfing minor video editing and other small programs. Leaving room for the ability to upgrade in the futer if i choose to just wanted to see what you fellas thought about my selections. I already have a video card (nvidia 8800gts) and i have not picked out a case yet. Plan on using Windows 7 as an

Asus P7P55D Pro
Intel i5 750
OCZ Gold 4GB (2X2) DDR3
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Coolermaster V8 CPU Fan
SAMSUNG Black Blu-ray Combo Drive - Bulk SATA Model SH-B083L/BSBP LightScribe Support - OEM
nMEDIAPC ZE-C118 All-in-one USB2.0 & eSATA Card Reader with Black Face Panel
Model #:ZE-C118

Thats a total of $643.93

* AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX
* ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

Combo Price: $247.98

The x4 965 is as fast as the i5 750 for a whole lot less. the same can be said about AMD mobos, too.

Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm Ceramic CPU Cooler
$29.99

The stock cooler sounds like a small jet. The same can be said about any stock cooler for a quad or better CPU.

Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM
$93.99

You can't beat G.Skill. period.

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
$74.99

Maybe a few bucks more, but a five year warranty and extremely fast.

The Blu-ray and reader are fine if you want them, of course.

That all comes out to $540.93 + shipping.

what other reasons would you choose AMD over Intel

Are the caviar black hard drives better for an OS drive then the cavair blue drives

john denver said:
what other reasons would you choose AMD over Intel
The Phenom II x4 965 gives the same performance as the i7 750.

The 965 is $30 less than the 750.

AMD motherboards, on the whole, cost less than comparable Intel boards.

Why throw away money you don't have to lose?

Plus, you can get AM3/AM2+/AM2 boards that will run the 965 but use DDR2 RAM (if you already have some).

john denver said:
Are the caviar black hard drives better for an OS drive then the cavair blue drives
Muffin Man said it best... the WD Blacks are better all around. They have a five year warranty and are much faster than the Blues. A WD Black comes close to the performance of the Raptor/Velociraptor drives at a much more pleasant price point.

If you are going to overclock stick with the i5 750 because you can easily get it up to 3.4GHz which is the stock clock of the Phenom II 965 and the i5 750 @ 3.4GHz will be faster then a PII @ 3.4GHz.

The Phenom II x4 965 gives the same performance as the i7 750.

The 965 is $30 less than the 750.

AMD motherboards, on the whole, cost less than comparable Intel boards.

Why throw away money you don't have to lose?

Plus, you can get AM3/AM2+/AM2 boards that will run the 965 but use DDR2 RAM (if you already have some).

Muffin Man said it best... the WD Blacks are better all around. They have a five year warranty and are much faster than the Blues. A WD Black comes close to the performance of the Raptor/Velociraptor drives at a much more pleasant price point.

Would there be any noticable difference in speed with DDR3 Over DDR2 memory and thanks for the explenation on the HDD

If you are going to overclock stick with the i5 750 because you can easily get it up to 3.4GHz which is the stock clock of the Phenom II 965 and the i5 750 @ 3.4GHz will be faster then a PII @ 3.4GHz.

Most likely will not be overclocking

Also would it be better to run two seperate HDD Asmaller capacity one for an OS and then a larger capacity one for everything else such as storage and other programs

On another note would buying a new motherboard for an Athlon 64 3800+ such as the
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5235299&CatId=2320

Be worth it or would that be a waste to mess with that chip it is for a friend that blew his mother board it no longer gives him video from the on board or the graphix card.
We did test the graphix card in another computer and it is still working

john denver said:
Would there be any noticable difference in speed with DDR3 Over DDR2 memory and thanks for the explenation on the HDD
There will be a speed difference, but it wouldn't be enough that you would be able to really tell it.

john denver said:
Also would it be better to run two seperate HDD Asmaller capacity one for an OS and then a larger capacity one for everything else such as storage and other programs
Yes. By having your OS on one drive and your programs on another your motherboard can access both at the same time

john denver said:
On another note would buying a new motherboard for an Athlon 64 3800+ such as the
ASUS M4A785-M Motherboard - AMD 785G Socket, AM2+, MicroATX, HDMI, USB 2.0, PCIe at TigerDirect.com

Be worth it or would that be a waste to mess with that chip it is for a friend that blew his mother board it no longer gives him video from the on board or the graphix card.
We did test the graphix card in another computer and it is still working
That board is what NewEgg classifies as a AM3/AM2+AM2 board. If can run any current AMD CPU... including the six cores (may need a BIOS update). He could later on upgrade to a dual, tri, quad, or hex core CPU and keep right on trucking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom