10000rpm hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
but, ur skrewed if 1 of it fails. if i were u, i'd go with a 36GB SATA drive and i'll partition it into 2 drives. 1 for system files and the other for games. u can get another 1 with larger capacity 4 files that can do well with lower speeds.

Nubius said:
Only problem with that is if one drive fails you are screwed. The 10,000 RPM drives are nice and it makes winXP installation about 10-15 mins instead of 35 or more. Installing programs and loading windows in general is really fast.

True. But, if u have only 1 drive and it fails ur screwed as wel...:D
Ofcourse with RAID0 there's a higher possibilty u loose ur data.

why are u guys sugesting raid? i thought u all saw the article that someone posted b4 showing bench's about how raid0 shows no or very very little improvment in a desktop user environment, compaired with a raptor.

faster rpm's only afect the speed at witch u can... install/load/save, that sorta thing. if u dont feel the price is worth the time in those fields, just get a 7200rpm drive. also if u dont care about crazy performance, a slower drive will last longer with more reliability.

if u do wont to increas HD performance though, the raptor would be better and safer then using raid0.

even though the chances of the drives failing is bigger in a raid 0 it is still very small if you have good quality drives like Seagate's

not only is 2x80GB in a Raid 0 fast, it is cheaper and has more space than either of the Raptors

From what i have heard WD has better quality drives than Seagate. I have had a Seagate fail on me. I have two samsung and a maxtor, and they have done me well.

Do you need a special pci card to run a raptor drive? How do you install it? Can some one give me the details oh a raptor drive. Is it the same thing as a 10k drive?

Seagate's are the most reliable drives you can get, which is why Seagate have a 5 year warranty on all of their drives now

AND_YOU_ARE, you must be very unlucky to have one die on you, I've heard of many WD drives fail but very few Seagates
although I think WD is still a good brand, without Seagate I'd pick WD

when u say a drive died on u, u should realy post its age/model or size and speed at least.

the 10k raptor usess just a normal SATA interface, nothing different.

Uh, i dont have the drive in fornt of me, but it was a 40gb drive, and it would not be recognized by windows, if i was lucky i would get a few clicks when the computer tried to access it in the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom