Faulty ram...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dude112

In Runtime
Hi, I've had 2 stick of 2gb ddr2 ram 6400, 800mhz, cl4. Now 1 is faulty.
Will adding 2 of 1 gig from a different brand but with similar settings have a bad influence on performance?

Not a good idea to mix your RAM with different brands. I've had nothing but problems when doing this in the past.

Not a good idea to mix your RAM with different brands. I've had nothing but problems when doing this in the past.

I completely disagree, as long as you're not mixing brands in the same channel but even than it's circumstantial on speed and timings.

Otherwise you should have no issues but remember if you get a slower type than what you have now all the ram will clock to the lowest speed.

So make sure to get a speed either as good as what you have or better or you may see a decrease in performance.

I am mixing ram right now in my desktop and I have no issues whatsoever. One channel is 2x2 corsair the other is 2x1 kingston.

EDIT: I apologize I read the post wrong.

Don't mix sizes or timings in the same channel and mixing brands even of the same specs is still not a good idea because you will probably lose dual channel thus hampering your performance greatly.

It will run but it wont be nearly as quick.

Sorry for correcting a correct statement Eric1 I've been up all night.:facepalm:

I see, so I should be save in having 1 2gb in 1 single channel with 1 empty slot
and 2 1gb sticks of the same kind in the other dual channel slot?

Will there be a performance boost from single 2gb to 1 single and 1 dual channel with a total of 4gb.

It's hard to find the same 2gb ram these days. It's not the ocz's in my sig btw :) It's some crucial ballistix which are hard to get by in my country.

Btw, is it possible to give different ram voltages or just 1? If it's just 1 I'd have to account for that too.

No, sorry. With Dual-Channel you need to have both slots of the channel empty or full so you would need (2x2 and 2x1) or (2x1 and 2x1) or (2x2 and 2x0) etc etc. Put very simply you either need one matching pair or 2 matching pairs. No one card or 3 cards.

Oh ok. Thanks for the explanation. I guess I'll just try and sell this 1 stick and buy another set...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom