My Rig: Extensive advice or insite needed plz!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now programs are just starting to utilize 4 cores and 4 core cpu's have been out for awhile. So you buy a 6 core cpu now and most of the time your not even using 4 cores much less 6 of them. So what's more useful, utilizing 2-4 cores (out of 4) at a higher frequency or utilizing 2-4 cores (out of 6) at a lower frequency.

And I'm using the term frequency loosely, as were really interested in the number of instructions per cycle more than just the number of cycles(frequency).

With your budget and what your going to use the PC for you should really be looking at an Intel i7 system, but that's just my opinion.

(frequency).
With your budget and what your going to use the PC for you should really be looking at an Intel i7 system, but that's just my opinion.
I agree. If no one gets around to you first I'll try to get something together just for now I need to end my all nighter with some ZZZs haha

I agree with them, you will see more benefit out of an intel based system if you are going with primarly gaming, and what they are saying is this, in 8 years your computer will prob act more like a 468.... yes the predecsors to the pentium line, technology doesnt advance on a linear scale, now that the understanding that most normal cores on a cpu will top out at around 4 to 5ghz chip manufactures realized they needed more cores not faster cores. Also in 8 years from now i wouldnt be suprised if we have 28 to 32 core cpus

nice build Abstract hero, you are getting better. but here is my build, its a little more expesnsive, but i put more moeny towards things that process information, mainly the mother board. this build has a high end performance mother board. i also went with an intel rig because at this budget itd be foolish not to go with intel, they are simply better than AMD, and when intel either comes out with cheaper 6 core processors or the ones they have now come down in price, throw one of those in there and you will be good to go ;) i also went with an ATI 5870, i am in love with this graphics card, and later on down the road, throw another one of these bad boys in when the price comes down a bit and you will have a truly beastly rig. at the moment, this computer will be able to play any game that comes out at MAXED settings and resolution for the foreseeable future.

any way here it is. like i said, abstart heros is good, but this is slightly better, but also slightly more expensive...

Case: $140
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Black
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Black RC-932-KWN3 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case with Side window

Mother Board: $270
ASUS P6X58D Premium
Newegg.com - ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Processor: $300
ntel Core i7-950 Bloomfield
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950

Memory: $150
G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI

Graphics Card: $510
XFX HD-587A-CNF9 Radeon HD 5870 2GB
Newegg.com - XFX HD-587A-CNF9 Radeon HD 5870 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Eyefinity 6 Edition Video Card

Power Supply: $130
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

HDD: $90
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Optic Drive: $110
LG WH10LS30K 10X Blu-ray Burner
Newegg.com - LG WH10LS30K 10X Blu-ray Burner - LightScribe Support - Bulk - Blu-Ray Burners

Cpu Cooler: $45
Scythe YASYA SCYS
Newegg.com - Scythe YASYA SCYS-1000 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler

Total: $1745

Would it be a bad idea to bump the price up by another 150 and have 12 gigs of memory? I have had some bad experiences with past computers that had lower gigs of ram-ness.

Also, that cpu cooler looks crazy! Do you think it will block some of the ram ports!?

Thanks though, looks like a lovely build :D cant wait to start buying / building it all :p

On a side note: Would a smaller sized SSD be good to have for my OS drive? Thanks!

no, DDR3 ram is so fast and effiencet you will never use more than 6 gigs for regular use/gamming.

i would get a better graphics card ( Radeon 5970 ) before i got a SSD, an SSD doesnt improve performance, just faster read times, so faster loading and booting time of the OS and applications.

Thanks for the positiveness Sean:thumbsup:

before ram i would say get better graphics and/or crossfire/sli.
I purposely have tried bottoming out 6 gbs of ram and could barely do it. So 6 is fine.

as far as ssd's the price makes them a bit of a luxury that if you really want, than go for it but you may not see a couple seconds of loading worth the hefty price tag.

agreed, a little patience makes me not want a SSD... well, i do want one but id get another graphics card before i spend th emoney on an SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom