My Rig: Extensive advice or insite needed plz!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Therow

Baseband Member
Hey guy!

First time poster, long time computer lover!

This will be the first higher end desktop i have ever bought(not yet though) and put together my self, so i was wondering if these components would be a good buy for a PC-Gamer! (And if they will all work with one another XD)

The Mobo: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
Newegg.com - ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

The Processr: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX

The Graphics: XFX HD-587A-CNF9 Radeon HD 5870
Newegg.com - XFX HD-587A-CNF9 Radeon HD 5870 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Eyefinity 6 Edition Video Card

The Memory: (I was slightly conflicted with which i should go with, so any suggestions here would be awesome!)

CORSAIR XMS3 (x4 2gig sticks) 8gigs -
Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C9

CORSAIR DOMINATOR-GT 8GB (x4 2gig) -
Newegg.com - CORSAIR DOMINATOR-GT 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory with Airflow Fan Model CMT8GX3M4A1866C9

The Heatsink / Fan: (I was sketchy on this one, because they talked about 2 fans, and as far as i know this is only the 1 fan and heatsink. Does it have another fan mount on it for a total of x2 120mm fans?)

Thermaltake Frio Overclocking-Ready Intel Core i7
Newegg.com - Thermaltake Frio Overclocking-Ready Intel Core i7 (six-core ready) & i5 Compatible Five 8mm Heatpipes Dual 120mm Fans Intel & AMD Universal CPU Cooler CLP0564

The Powersupply: (I was unsure about this since i don't know how to tell exactly how much my system needs on power. The graphics card requires a 600wat pwrsply i think. So is this the right one?)

Thermaltake TR2
Newegg.com - Thermaltake TR2 TRX-1200M 1200W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

The SSD: (I wanted to try a SSD, though i have a normal 80gig as well, and i can always upgrade w/ more as needed right?)

Corsair P128 CMFSSD-128GBG2D
Newegg.com - Corsair P128 CMFSSD-128GBG2D 2.5" 128GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

The Blueray(I wanted the ability to run blue ray as well as my dvd's ans such!)

PLEXTOR Black 8X BD-ROM
Newegg.com - PLEXTOR Black 8X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal BD Combo Model PX-B320SA LightScribe Support - Blu-Ray Drives

Finally the Case! (I'm really unsure here, since its described as a Medium case, that it would be big enough)

Antec Nine Hundred
Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

:star::star::star::star:

Thanks should go out to those who take the time to read this!

Extra-Uber-Mundo Thanks to those of you who can help me! :kiss:

for memory i would actually recommend 1 or 2 kits of these Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

a phenom x6 is a little overkill if you're only gaming because games dont utilize more than 3 cores.
So I would say save a little money by getting a quad or tricore amd
or spend about the same and get a new intel quad with more power

for the heatsink forget that one and get something cheaper and more efficient like this Newegg.com - ZALMAN 9500A-LED 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler

for psu read this http://www.techist.com/forums/f75/read-first-updated-power-supply-guide-221773/

that psu is way too much power and kind of sucks anyway

and that case is fine.

Hey! Thanks for the replies!

The reason i was wanting to go with a 6x core is because I'm looking for longevity i guess. 8 years down the road i want to have a computer that's still top of the line with some basic upgrades.

I also do a lot of graphic design work and 3d modeling, so i was kinda wanting a rig that is mostly for gaming but i could also tinker around with 3ds max and maya. Maybe mudbox or zbrush.

My budget is 2,000 ruffly, and i did the math, and that build i posted is about 2k, though i havent taken shipping into the whole math bit yet. (Was hoping to work out a deal w/ newegg, since they are awesome like that)

I'm kind of new about overclocking as well, but i know there are guides out there, and plenty of forumers who could lend an ear or a hand XD

Anyways! Keep up the advice train :p and thank you all!

Ps- On a side note, if i were to want to look into schooling for computer hardware and general computer building stuff, where would i look? I'm an animation major, but i love looking into computer stuff! Getting more under your belt never hurts either as far as schooling goes. I know the basics somewhat, but i want to know more :D

I hate to say it but it wont be top of the line for 8 years without any major upgrades but it will be able to do well enough for 8 years.

Once a builder sees this you'll have plenty of help and overclocking is one of this forums many specialties so we can help you there too.

One word of advice: most expensive is not always the best choice. ;)

I have a feeling that the hex cores are just a passing thing. They are killer right now, but there time as top dog ain't going to last.

Think pentium 3 with 128MB RAM, that's how your computer of today will be compared to those in 8 years.

My current system is 8 yrs old and it feels like a pentium 3 w/ 128mb ram XD but it works, and it plays hard for its age :p

Fuzzy feelings on this one :D

One word of advice: most expensive is not always the best choice. ;)

I have a feeling that the hex cores are just a passing thing. They are killer right now, but there time as top dog ain't going to last.

Why do you say that? Would going with a higher end 4core and clocking it really be better than a 6core?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom