Hardware troubles for a semi-beginner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandonk_5

Beta member
Alright before the story let's abbreviate some things.

Name of friend who might have effed up comp build (KF..random initials)
Name of friend who bought the parts that im trying to help (hooty..again..random)

ok so now that that is out of the way..i will try to make it as short as possible by listing steps.

-kf said he knew about comps (hes a brother of a different friend)

-kf sent list to me to give to hooty of comp parts to order to fit his build

-hooty received parts and then hooty and i went to kf's house to get installed.

-kf took about 5 hours with hardware installed..fans/everything working/moving but no video...

-after another hour, the psu wouldn't even power up so hooty and i took the computer to my house before he had to leave for military duty.

-I read every guide I could get my hands on or pdf files..put the computer together and now have a problem that is slight less * i hope * than what kf left the computer as.

Now that we got that out of the way as well...the problem is this.

Everything was put together and I turned on the power..and the fans/mobo phase led's lit/turned for about 2 seconds and then died....and this happened multiple times.

I've researched my brains out all day with going from use a *something jumper* to connect 2 pins on the cmos i believe..or use some type of metal to draw out the power all the way. im come to the conclusion that I would turn to a well-known computer forum for help before I have him send all the parts back and make kf pay for them or pay money to a co-worker to try to diagnose it.

Any help is greatly appreciated and I will do the best I can to answer questions

For reference specs are as follows *for what I think you'll need*

Gigabyte p55-usb3 rev 2 motherboard
Intel core i7-860 *i believe...will check again*
"His Ati Radeon 5870 turbo" graphics card
Corsair 750w power supply
Adata ddr3 ram
western caviar? 650gb hard drive
Antec case *doubt that's important at the moment*

*anything else you need to know, please don't hesitate to ask and I greatly appreciate the future responses.

The problem is, there really aren't any technicians in this area im aware of or he probably wouldn't have ordered the parts in the first place. From the mobo manual to the case manual to the other manuals I had...as far as I can tell everything is NOW hooked up right.

If the psu was dead...why would it still start for the 1-2 seconds that it does?

1.ok that whole thing about jumpers was clearing the cmos. Try unplugging the power supply from the wall and removing the coin battery after doing so press the power buttons a couple times and give it a minute before plugging everything back in

if problem persists try 2

2. unplug and re seat EVERYTHING

if problem persists try 3

3. try running with bare essentials ONLY...
mobo...
ram... as little as possible...
cpu...
psu...
first without gpu...
if everything seems to start than with gpu...

if it is the psu there are plenty of reasons it would start for a sec and stop
the psu might not be putting out enough power
might have a bad connection
it might be overloading on boot
etc

Hardware can fail in unpredictable ways. The list of hardware looks good but the length of time kf took to fix it together suggests he doesn't know what he's doing. Having said that;
1) make sure there are metal stand-offs between the motherboard and the motherboard tray (the mother board tray is the part of the case where the motherboard is screwed onto).
2) make sure that all 24 pins of the motherboard power cord are plugged firmly into the motherboard (it should have a catch and hook system to help you).
3) make sure the 8 pin CPU power plug is in firmly (again this should have a catch and hook).
4) make sure the RAM is correctly seated and that both of the clips on either side of the DIMM have clicked up properly to hold it in.
5) read the motherboard manual carefully to ensure that the "on" button is plugged firmly into the correct header.

In good news thanks to you both, the computer power supply is now running, and everything seems fine...I have to plug in the gpu and everything else to make sure it runs...but the next potential problem was/could be that when KF turned it on, there was no video output to the screen...so that will be the next problem I check for after putting everything back together :).

on a side note, do you know if that gpu requires both the pci-e plugs available from the power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom