How can I do increase my RAM and disk space?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfriedl1

Beta member
Hi.
THis is my first post and I have a question. I have a compaq laptop with 2GB of ram and a 50 GB hard drive. The Machine is about 3 years old.

I'd like to double the RAM and and put in a larger HD. I know how to physically swap out the harddrive and the RAM, but is there a way to make a "mirror" copy of my current drive and put it on the new one (OS, registry and all) so that I don't have to reinstall anything it would function the same (except faster LOL).

I"m also concerned with whether "new" RAM and a "new" hard drive will be compatible with my "old" machine....is this something I need to be concerned about?

If anyone can offer some advice, it would be grately appreciated.

Thanks!

Yes, you can just do a mirror copy of your hard drive and copy to a new one. My mind fails as to what the program is called.

With RAM, we need to know your model. Depending on the laptop model, there is a max of how much RAM you can put in it.

I have a compaq Presario V6000.
It has 1.6 Ghz Processor and 504 MB of ram at present.
How do I know what the max I can upgrade to and what kind or ram I need?

You can find the type ram you need and the max you can support on this site. RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, flash cards, SSD at Crucial.com
also the Seagate disk wizard can copy hard drive to hard drive

EDIT:
http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Presario V6000 Series
  • Module Size: 1GB
  • Package: 200-pin SODIMM
  • Feature: DDR2 PC2-530

Maximum Memory: 2048MB
Slots: 2 (2 banks of 1)
Standard Memory: 512 or 1024MB removable
So 2x1 of 200pin ddr2

Status
Not open for further replies.