8800GT vs GTX 460

Status
Not open for further replies.

new2IT

Baseband Member
I currently have an 8800GT in a pretty dated system, but eventually, (as soon as I can afford it), I plan to replace most of it. Eventually I plan to have 2 GTX 460s in SLI, but for now I'd like to get one of those 460s in my current system to hopefully speed it up a tad.

I have 2 questions, the main one is how much different is the GTX 460 to my current 8800GT? Spec wise they look pretty similar aside from the GDDR5 memory running much faster in the 460, but the core clock is pretty close. The new card also would have twice the memory, 1gb compared to my current 512mb.

My 2nd question is would I even notice any difference? Right now I have a pretty dated dual core D915 processor that is probably bottle necking my system, but I'm hoping despite that this change in graphics card would help.

Looking for some outside observations/opinions, thanks in advance!

**Edit: I meant to write GTX 460 in the headline, NOT 260. Sorry for the fat finger mistake lol

Re: 8800GT vs GTX 260

So... are you asking about the GTX 260 or GTX 460? there is a bit of difference between the two. ;)

The 8800 GT is (currently) #30 on the Graphics Performance List here on TF. The GTX 260 comes in at #17, while the GTX 260 Core 216 comes in at #14. The GTX 460 is currently not on the list, but should fall between the GTX 470 and the HD5850 (I think), or possibly a notch or two lower, so call it 8.5 for error's sake.

Either way both beat the 8800 quite soundly. A single 460 is an awesome card. By the time you are ready to buy a second one something newer and beter will be available, so don't plan TOO strongly on going with two of them in SLI.

Trust me on that. :D

Crap...I made that mistake in the post but caught it before posting....I just didn't notice I did it in the headline too! I meant to say the GTX 460.

I'll probably be building a new PC in a month or 2 so I think these 2 should work fine for my needs for some time, but with some money burning a hole in my wallet I'm considering jumping the gun and getting one of those 460's a little early. It wouldn't really hurt if I got one early, (unless within 2 months prices dramatically dropped for the GTX 480s), so I think I'll be safe.

But with my ancient Pentium D 915, would I even notice? For all I know this 8800gt might be a lot more powerful than I've been able to use because of the processor limitations, but I'm not really sure.

While your cpu may bottleneck the GTX 460 and keep it from performing at it's full potential, it will still be a tremendous improvement over the 8800GT :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom