Field Work

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured it was only a little side job but the same thing applies even if you hand out fliers to nearby flats it'd put you out there enough to get you work.
But as far as tools go what you listed is a good start.

A05BJ Mbrd Stndoff Scrwnut 1
A10BJ Case Fan Screws 1
A13BJ M3 x 5mm Phill Screw 1
A14BJ Hard Drive Screws 1
A22GF Screws for 25mm fans 1
A24GF Anti Vib Screws 4DVD 1
A27GF Jumper pack+ handle 1
A98BH 50 Thumb Screws 1
N12FW 4-Pc Screwdriver Set 1
N14FW 200mm Combo Pliers 1
N30AA Mini Snip cutter 1
N40HH 12-in-1 FixedSdriver 1
N66CT 6pc Screwdriver Set 1
N77HW 45Pc Sdriver Set 1
RM59P 4pc Tweezer Set 1
ZF02C Pocket Magnifier 1
ZZ06G PC Screw Set 1

What I've ordered so far, Compressed air and thermal paste comes next week.

i can get 12 x 400 ml Cans of compressed air for only £25.... That's so cheap Don't you think? I'll link anyone if interested.

I tried one of those tool boxes and I have found that they just do not have enough space. I had enough space for all my tools, but I had no where to put my CD wallet. I trust me, if you are going to do Home / SOHO computer repair, you do need a large CD wallet.

When I was doing that sort of work, I would have a copy of the following
OEM Win 95/98/Me/2000/XpHome/XpPro/XpMCE/XpPro-64bit/Vista32/Vista64/Windows7-32bit/Windows7-64bit
OEM Office 2000/Xp/2003 in all flavors (Basic/HomeStudent/SmallBusiness/Pro). Thankfully Office 2007 onwards OEM is different as it's all Dependant on the serial number you enter
Plus I would have a lot of other CDs along with me. Like a various driver CDs for commonly used drivers. It's one of the things that I don't miss from those days.
You might want to bring a portable hard drive with various other software that you might need.

Tools that you might need
Flathead Screw drivers (big and small)
Phillips Head Screw Driver (big and small)
Star head screw driver (set a set of them and you will come across some thing like that)
Portable antistatic mats with antistatic wrist trap (personally i hate these things, but some people are very fussy if you don't use them)
Can of Dust-Be-Gone (or canned air)
Thermalpaste
extra case screws
flash light
Can of Deodorant (I am not kidding)

You can use the OEM sticker on machines Can't you?
Not exactly sure how I should be replying to this question on a public forum like this. Try to get the end user to produce their own CDs for Operating System. However some people will just look at the OEM sticker on the side of the case. In the case of MS office, there are programs like Magic Jelly Bean which will locate the serial number. But again, try to get the customer to provide you with the CD and working serial number. Reason being is that you never know who you might be servicing a computer for.
And do not give into dodgy install requests. For you all you know, you could be installing a dodgy copy of MS Office on a computer that belongs to some one that actually works for Microsoft. I know some one who had that happen to them.

I normally follow the rule of No CD, No Install. Considering the software piracy down here is $10 000 per offence, it better to leave a job empty handed and run the risk of getting slapped with a $10 000 fine.

I've got external Hard drives for backing up, Got a reference machine for Virus scanning
Get yourself a some drive imaging / copying software and use that on your reference machine. Better to copy every thing as appose to forgetting some thing important.

Currently use freeware such as AVG free, Ccleaner, Malwarebytes etc.
I rather go for the payversion. Sure, Free is good, but it does not put any extra money into your pocket.
Do not leave a copy of HiJackThis on people's computers. Yes, it's a good tool, but if the end user does not know what they are doing, they can really mess up a computer system.

I tried one of those tool boxes and I have found that they just do not have enough space. I had enough space for all my tools, but I had no where to put my CD wallet. I trust me, if you are going to do Home / SOHO computer repair, you do need a large CD wallet.

When I was doing that sort of work, I would have a copy of the following
OEM Win 95/98/Me/2000/XpHome/XpPro/XpMCE/XpPro-64bit/Vista32/Vista64/Windows7-32bit/Windows7-64bit
OEM Office 2000/Xp/2003 in all flavors (Basic/HomeStudent/SmallBusiness/Pro). Thankfully Office 2007 onwards OEM is different as it's all Dependant on the serial number you enter
Plus I would have a lot of other CDs along with me. Like a various driver CDs for commonly used drivers. It's one of the things that I don't miss from those days.
You might want to bring a portable hard drive with various other software that you might need.

Tools that you might need
Flathead Screw drivers (big and small)
Phillips Head Screw Driver (big and small)
Star head screw driver (set a set of them and you will come across some thing like that)
Portable antistatic mats with antistatic wrist trap (personally i hate these things, but some people are very fussy if you don't use them)
Can of Dust-Be-Gone (or canned air)
Thermalpaste
extra case screws
flash light
Can of Deodorant (I am not kidding)

Not exactly sure how I should be replying to this question on a public forum like this. Try to get the end user to produce their own CDs for Operating System. However some people will just look at the OEM sticker on the side of the case. In the case of MS office, there are programs like Magic Jelly Bean which will locate the serial number. But again, try to get the customer to provide you with the CD and working serial number. Reason being is that you never know who you might be servicing a computer for.
And do not give into dodgy install requests. For you all you know, you could be installing a dodgy copy of MS Office on a computer that belongs to some one that actually works for Microsoft. I know some one who had that happen to them.

I normally follow the rule of No CD, No Install. Considering the software piracy down here is $10 000 per offence, it better to leave a job empty handed and run the risk of getting slapped with a $10 000 fine.

Get yourself a some drive imaging / copying software and use that on your reference machine. Better to copy every thing as appose to forgetting some thing important.

I rather go for the payversion. Sure, Free is good, but it does not put any extra money into your pocket.
Do not leave a copy of HiJackThis on people's computers. Yes, it's a good tool, but if the end user does not know what they are doing, they can really mess up a computer system.

That's why im waiting a month until I can actually get myself all of the software needed, then the customers provide the keys.

Would you mind adding me on MSN messenger if you have it? My email is on my profile, So we can discuss this further, I understand if not :).

Another thing you have to remember. OEM Serials cant be used with Retail copies of the OS. So if you only have a retail copy of XP Home and they have XP Home OEM, you cant just pop in your CD and use it. It wont work. Just like you cant use an OEM serial from an old machine on a new one.

Urm, can Someone who knows alot about software (Mak :p) Reccomend me some good software which will help me out, I've downloaded Hirens Boot CD, What's LinuxLIVECD? I hear you can get Data off certain partitions that windows cannot see. I've got all of my physical tools now, I just need to start compling software.

Please list Free aswell as paid for software as I'll be purchasing. I have no idea what software to get.

A linux liveCD is a Linux distro, as Ubuntu, that can run a full GUI desktop off a CD. No need to format and install. It can help you recover data and hidden partitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom