Random shutdown due to under powered computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you're saying you've got small peas? :p I lol'd and chuckled

OP: As well as reapplying the thermal paste and reseating the heatsink, dust out your case and make sure all the fans are clean and spinning smoothly.

i belive he said this is a new build so i dont think there is going to be much dust... but that brings up another question, what Case do you have?

My personal experience this sounds like:
1. CPU not seated properly but this is least likely since you would have shut downs that would happen more frequently (staying on for hours would not happen)
2. Your fan on top of your CPU cooler is not spinning or is spinning late allowing heat to build up on the chip itself
3. My pick as others have said .... your thermal paste is applied incorrectly

How long ago was your board put together? As in when did they seat the chip? I also looked at your board and it looks like the video card would not be pushing heat up into the cpu area unless your fans in the rear of your case are not exhausting and are pulling in air instead (recirculating in the case). Your case has 4 fans 1 above, 2 rear and 1 front are they all spinning? They have controllers on the back ones are they pointed out? Do you have them set to lower speeds to avoid noise? Check #3 though that really seems to be the culprit

I never turn down the fans to decrease the noise. I'd rather have a noisy computer than a fried one. :) All fans are spinning fine, that was the first thing I checked.
Case is a Antec Nine Hundred Gaming case and everytime I check it and the fans, it always feels cold with good circulation.

I quite literally put the board together a couple of weeks ago, I still haven't put the sound card in yet. I had some problems with connecting the hard drives (I had followed the advice of a friend and RAIDed them, they didn't take to the new hardware very well).
After the drives were fixed I connected all the cables in the box and switched it on. Problems with the computer switching off were almost instant.

I've used the case before, but I cleaned the dust out of the case before putting in the new hardware.

I'll clean the CPU and fan block when I get home from work and apply some thermal paste, ensuring it's the size of an an uncooked grain of rice.
White rice or Brown? Are we talking long grain or basmati rice? Risotto rice is also kind of fat. :p

I'll let you know how it goes. Fingers crossed.
Thanks to everyone!

Reseated the CPU and the temperature seems to be at normal (sitting around 34C on 0% load)! Thanks so much you guys. Hopefully this is the solution and the shutdowns are a thing of the past.

Thanks again for all the help. Hopefully the CPU wasn't damaged in anyway.
All the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom