Random shutdown due to under powered computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just ran Core Temp, Core Temp . With a 0% load, my CPU is around 50C. When I run a program (started up Bioshock 1) it jumped to about 90 something. Didn't further than the main menu of the game either. Just watched the temperature spike and shut the game off quickly.
Could that be my problem or is that acceptable temperature for this CPU? (sorry if it's a stupid question, but I did a search on google and couldn't really get a straight answer).

The thermal paste on the fan and CPU is the stuff that was already on the fan. Nervous about taking the fan off to check, I was told touching CPUs is not a good idea.

Went out pricing multimeters, couldn't find one under 40-85chf (40-85USD). Will check again tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help.

88C idle is high. Very high..

I'm using Core Temp from in windows, and it's telling me the temperature is anywhere from 50-60 on idle, jumping to 90-99C when booting something like a game. As it's actually changing, it seems more accurate than my previous reading.
Is that high?

I didn't touch the paste on the fan block and didn't add any more either. Just followed the instructions and put the fan block on, definitely no issues with fixing the fan. Fitted over the top nicely and locked in.
You think i need to add more paste? If so, do I need to clean off the old paste from the fan block and CPU, apply a new layer and the reattach?

those kinda temps are extremely high, you def need to look at the paste it self, some come with crappy paste and it doesnt work at all, i think its not the psu its the cpu thats turning the system off to prevent the temps from getting too high

Yha, I'd try 5 bucks worth of TIM, before anything else.

Use Isopropyl alchol, aka rubbing alchol, and a coffee filter to clean off the old stuff. Then put a pea size amount in the center and squish it back together.

Only a very thin amount is needed, to much hurts.

Yha, I'd try 5 bucks worth of TIM, before anything else.

Use Isopropyl alchol, aka rubbing alchol, and a coffee filter to clean off the old stuff. Then put a pea size amount in the center and squish it back together.

Only a very thin amount is needed, to much hurts.

I agree, but a pea size amount of paste is to much. You only want to use a gob about the size of a single piece of rice. This may sound strange but too much is almost worst than none at all.

Newegg.com - Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound

Peas are a lot bigger than a grain of rice. I'm not talking about "cooked" rice. The smallest pea I've ever ate is a white acre pea and it's 2 to 3 times larger than a grain of rice.

a pea size blob is wayyy to much. my tube of shin etsu is only about half gone and ive reseated and reapplied my block 7 times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom