New build problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

xeony2k

Solid State Member
I put the finishing touches on a system I have slowly been getting pieces for over the last few months. After getting everything together I plugged the PSU in and immediately it started to smoke and the PC just started to beep.

I don't have a system I can switch the components into to test individually, but I did have another PSU available. Lights, fans and everything seems to operate, but I don't get a post only a repetitive beep from the system speaker. I've had things go wrong before, but never a PSU like this. What's the potential that things (m'board, CPU, memory and etc.) got hosed? I am RMA'ing the PSU for sure and I need to try and iron out the rest.

My basic setup is this:
Smoking PSU: Powmax LP6100A
M'board: Albatron-KX400-8X Pro
512 MB Corsair XMS DDR 2700
AMD XP 2400+ (retail)
Albatron Ge4 ti 4280
Liteon 52x24x52
Maxtor 40G HDD

I am a bit lost here, any help appreciated. I guess my next step is to use my known good PSU and remove items and see if I can get some sort of life. Comments... Suggestions??

there are a number of beep codes that refer directly to what your problem is,, you would have to search for Bios Beep codes ,,, sorry I dont have a link right now,,

http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/beep/index-i.htm

( quick one I had in my favs)

on the PSU,, I hope for your sake that there was a short in the unit and not a surge across the MOBO,, check ALL the capcitors closely, with a magnifying glass and good light,, look for bulges , charring, burnt stuff,,,

then your hardware,, problem here is that troubles might not present themselves easily or notably,,, I had a pc that got zapped in a lightning storm via the modem line,, I thought it was ok,, booted,,apps all opened,, trouble was that under a load, i would get lock ups, glitches in display,,crakly sound,etc,,

the MOBO was fried, and my sound card,,,,

Not to sink your boat,,but you MAY have some problems with things or you MAY not??

Only when you have a functioning unit will you be able to ultimately discover any hidden damage,,

sorry, :(

Thanks crash, from what I tell from the Phoenix beep codes, the 1-1-x points to the motherboard and/or cpu. I'm going to strip it tonight and run the motherboard outside the case (w/ another PSU) with the bare essentials and see if I can iron it out. I'll also do a more thorough exam while it is out per your advice.

Either way, things don't look good... i'm sorry too.

After running it outside the case last night with a known good supply I'm thinking if nothing else the m'board got zapped. I am also going to rma the memory for good measure.

I did not see anything visibly wrong with any of the components, everything is seated as it should be, no bent pins on the processor and so on. It's been the most frustrating build I've had to date. I'll be working on getting some RMA's together, I already RMA'd my smoking PSU that I just wanted to run over with my car. ;)

Good Troubleshooting!!

and Good Luck with the RMA's ,, they can be such a pleasure in life,,

lets hope its not Xmas before you get your new parts back,,

heh heh :)

Upon talking with Albatron, they seem to think the memory is still a good suspect with the beeps I am getting. They aren't ready to let me RMA the board so... I'll RMA the memory back to Corsair and should have it back in a reasonable time. RMA's can be a test in patience though. We will see.

This is too late for xeony2k but hopefully useful to someone else searching for Powmax LP6100A problems. Got mine 4 days ago in a Powmax micro ATX case. I really like the case but the PSU was DOA. Got 2 disconnected phone numbers for Powmax so I opened the PSU for inspection - worst soldering job I've ever seen! Used a 25W iron to fix suspicious connections. Stopped counting at 15 (there were more than 20). Reassembled. It works. No RMA needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom