Motherboard confusion...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrysamere

Baseband Member
I'm pretty confused with the motherboards on new egg, I'm trying to build a computer say with the 1055t, gigabyte hd 5830, corsair hx 750, dd3 1600 ripjaws, caviar black etc i know the parts i want and stuff...

but the motherboards are so confusing because some of them say the new x6 processors are not supported.. further more my biggest confusion is with the graphics card slots.. some say like x16, some say 2.0?? some say some confusing things like will run at x8 x16 primary?? i'm SO confused..i want the best slot which i think is 2.0 or w/e so if any of you guys can help me out?

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-890XA-UD3 AM3 AMD 790X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Newegg.com - ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Newegg.com - ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

these 3 amd motherboards all confuse me with the graphics cards slots.. can someone finally educate me on the proper way to the right motherboard? thanks in advance..

the proper way to pick a mother board is to ask people who know what they are talking about ( which you just did )

out of the ones you listed and one of the best AMD boards for the money on the market is this one:

Newegg.com - ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

watch these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4gBzY7nnEY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1boKUEjM1g

EDIT: also, can you list out the parts for this build and your budget? maybe we can put together a better build for cheaper than what you were able to put together...

(sorry for this freaking long post, didn't realize it as i typed it...)

2.0 is like the latest version of the pci-e x16 slot (the standard slot for gfx cards nowadays). a 2.0 slot allows twice the bandwidth of 1.0 slots, but it shouldn't really matter that 2.0 allows that because (i believe) there are no current gfx cards that can saturate the bandwidth available from even a 1.0 slot.

so basically, you can take the highest end gfx cards currently out right now and put one in a 1.0 slot, and one in a 2.0 slot, they should perform pretty much the same.

and 2.0 cards are backwards compatible with 1.0 slots, just so you know.

now, when you see like x8/x8, that would be referring to running dual gfx cards (and x8/x8 support being found on like amd's x/gx chipsets and intel's p55 chipset boards). when you're running just one gfx card, all the bandwidth from an x16 slot is available for that one card. if you run dual gfx cards, the bandwidth that would normally be available to just one card from the x16 slot would now be split in half (as in x16 -> x8, half), for the second card in the second slot.

there are also boards, like amd's fx chipset and intel's x58 chipset boards, that will run dual gfx cards, offering the full bandwidth from the two x16 slots being used to both cards (as in x16/x16).

so you might say, well if boards that only support dual cards running at x8/x8 only offer half the bandwidth to each slot, then both my cards will only run half as fast as if they were in a board that supported dual cards at x16/x16 offering the full bandwidth available from both slots.

well, it's been tested, compared and shown that whether you're running dual cards in x16/x16 or x8/x8, there would in fact (on average) be a small difference (sometimes depending on the game too) but it would really be negligible. why? it kinda goes back to what i said above, (again, i think) there are currently no cards that can saturate the available bandwidth.

atleast that's the way i've gathered it from reading a few articles and whatnot on this before. i have sort of like a hacked up explanation in my mind that i understand for myself, so this is me basically trying to put that in words lol.

ofcourse, anyone is welcome to correct me if there's something wrong though :sweat:, i try...

so which one out of those three, or out of any amd motherboard is good for say a single HD 5830 or 5770 to run them at full capacity? all three would work if I read your explanation on it correctly? which one would you choose for an amd set up like I mentioned in my op? thanks.

so which one out of those three, or out of any amd motherboard is good for say a single HD 5830 or 5770 to run them at full capacity? all three would work if I read your explanation on it correctly? which one would you choose for an amd set up like I mentioned in my op? thanks.

... did you see my post?

Actually I read the part where it said it was an excellent motherboard but the videos I didn't watch (don't know why, no excuses)..

I've got them both open right now and loading up to watch and here's a list for the build... budget is $900-$950. Parts I already have are 17 inch monitor, keyboard/mouse, windows 7 ultimate.

I've been putting off my build for a while since my budget has been increasing but this one is my final one (900-950).

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
1055t, gigabyte hd 5830.. $362

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
corsair hx 750, ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 $249

rest I would need is ram/hd/case... possibly a coolermaster haf 932 plain for $129... and some ripjaws dd3 1600.. hd i got no clue which one to buy but a cheap caviar black maybe 1 tb? I welcome your help and I really hope those combos i linked don't expire.. if they do then I'll be forced to procrastinate my build a bit longer.

Also, just finished the 2 videos.. the second one explains in detail the pci slots so I'm happy about the confusion being resolved on that point:kiss:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom