Computer Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
nice build fat clown...

only thing i can say is when you post the " shopping list " put spaces between each item, makes it easier to read.

The Computer I'm on now has like 80GB, so I'm thinking about getting more around 200GB, and then getting more later if I have to, I won't ever get close to filling 1TB up, so I'm looking for a smaller hard drive, around 200GB. And as for MotherBoards and Video Cards, I'm still looking for a SLI Ready motherboard, and a NVIDIA GPU, besides that I really like that build! So I guess my question now, is, does anyone know what NVIDIA GPU I should get that's not too expensive? my current computer just has an onboard chipset( I'm on Dell's E310) and I've been fine with that til a little while ago, like I said before, I don't do much demanding stuff, so I don't really want to spend much over $100 on one, I'm trying to keep the price low. And what's a good SLI Ready MoBo thats around $99 or lower that's also compatible with the Corsair memory and AM3 Socket? And a good Hard Drive tat is only around 200GB? I'm not sure what brands and versions are reliable, so I'm not sure where to begin looking really >_<

Thanks!

@Soup: My main suggestion would be to look at some of the parts that the guys have posted and read the reviews on newegg... I remember when I built my computer and it helped a lot to read what others were saying about the products. Also as far as a MB being SLI ready it will say it in the name of the MB or in the product description on newegg... Also the price comparison between a 200gig and 500gig HDD is not that much so I would say to spend $10 more for twice the space. I have seen a lot of builds go through here and it seems that the best bang for the buck on video cards less that $200 is ATI...

HDD: Western digital, Seagate
Video Card: ATI for under $200
MB: MSI seems to be a pretty good brand...

As far as SLI and other features I would say to copy the product name into google and do some research on it. The main thing I learned about the forums here is that the members will give you a build but you have to do the research and in the end it is you that is spending the money so do what makes you happy :D

if you learn nothing else from us, do learn this DO NOT SKIMP ON A POWER SUPPLY, it is extremely important you learn this, cheap power supplies are a huge culprit in causing computer parts to short out

if you learn nothing else from us, do learn this DO NOT SKIMP ON A POWER SUPPLY, it is extremely important you learn this, cheap power supplies are a huge culprit in causing computer parts to short out

^ quoted to drive home how important that statement is.

Here is a build that gives you a nice 5830, Lian Li case, modular P/S, 10k rpm Raptor drive, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0 all for a little over $900.00 (I read this thread 3 times wasn't sure what your spending cap is)

Raptor Drive + $40.00 promo code EMCYXYN36
Newegg.com - Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

5830 WITH A FREE T-SHIRT !!!!!!!!!!!!! (XFX needs to get that double lifetime warranty down in this price range) $20.00 MIR
Newegg.com - XFX HD-583X-ZAFV Radeon HD 5830 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity

Lian Li Mid Tower Case + Sean W. suggestion on the RAM
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

Black edition AMD 3.4 + Modular Bronze rated Power Supply (5 year warranty on the power supply) $20.00 MIR
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

Asus MOBO with USB 3.0 SATA 6GB/S + Windows

Again quoting Sean W. on the budget drive (cant believe thats only 20.00 nice drive)
Newegg.com - Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA CD/DVD Burner LightScribe Support - CD / DVD Burners

Total before promo and MIR $947.91 + $28.00 shipping (to Ohio OH IO) - $40.00 promo code = $932.97 <you still have $40.00 in MIR which drops you just below $900.00 BUT dont bank on MIR>

My personal suggestion because I am still in the "waiting to build phase" is to wait. Seems the Egg and TD are in a lull right now sales and combo wise. Also I would expect that line of video cards to take a price cut here shortely due to Nvidia slashing theirs. If you hold out guessing 2 weeks or so you can probably save another $50.00 or so. Of course its all a guessing game so do as you feel is right :) Also if this goes outside your budget I apologize wasn't sure what the cap was. If that is the case you can cut out that raptor drive and swap in a 7200 rpm drive

Hey, I looked at the build some, I'll finish looking at it later on tomorrow. It is above my cap though, my cap really is just as low as possible...I'm trying to get it as low as possible, trying to get it at 750 MAX, trying to get it to around 700 and below, but if you got a build that costs 750-800 ill look at it :) trying to get as low as possible

Again, thanks :)!

Definitely get rid of the Raptor drive... If your looking for a good HDD get a Western Digital Black, I've also heard good things about the Samsung Spinpoint F3 drives as well. If you get a 500GB (as opposed to the 150gb raptor) That will knock about $90 off Gordylll's build.
WD Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM HDD

AMD Phenom II 955 BE and Corsair 650tx
This CPU is 0.2GHz slower, but that could EASILY be fixed with a quick little overclock using stock cooling, I'm not a big overclocker by any stretch but I'm rather certain if you just changed the multiplier (which you can because it is Black Edition CPU) from 16x to 17x then you would be running at 3.4GHz just like the 965. I would get confirmation on this from somebody more experienced than myself before trying this though. The Corsair PSU is cheaper and equal if not better quality than the XFX. This combo would knock another $50 off gordylll's build.

And if you wanted to drop the price a bit more, then get an HD5770 graphics card... should knock another $40-$50 off which would put you at just about $750.

apsoul is right, you can easily lower the price of this build by making those swaps, the WD caviar is a great drive and unless your building a bleeding edge system or you plan on doing non stop read/writes all day long you dont need a 10k drive, he is also correct about the over clocking it is very simple to do but you might have to bump the multipliers up 2 or 3 times but thats really not a big deal at all, its simple to do and it wont harm your componets at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom