E8400 3.00 GHz CPU running @ 2.4 GHz only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might it be cause of the temperature? It's like 36C today here.
I noticed it's not running at full speed but not very much difference. It's running at 2980 RPM with option of cpu smart mode disabled in bios, but when enabled it goes from 2909 RPM to 2922 RPM.
Will downgrading the bios back fix my problem? I'm not really sure if I had the same problem before, as I didn't really care much for my CPU Fan speed, only the temperature of the cores.
I didn't enable the option of oc'ing the FSB to 1333 MHz yet anyway, it's still running at 2.4 GHz.
Cheers and thanks

No, downgrading the bios won't help. If you want to be able to adjust your fan speed "safely" using the Smart Fan Option then you need a PWM fan.

Here's a tip. After 5 pages of questions and replies your cpu is still at 2.4GHz and people are tired of trying to help you. If you won't do what we've told you then why should we continue to try and help you?

What do you mean not do what we told you to?
I'm just leaving it atm at 2.4 GHz because I'm not gaming atm so it's better to keep it at 2.4 GHz. I can turn it up to 3.00 GHz if I want now, I just don't want to do it while not gaming.
There's under the cpu smart fan enabled or disabled option, there's something related to that which can be changed to " Auto, pwm or voltage ". It's currently on auto, shall I change that?
Thanks

So now we went through the trouble of explaining this OC to you, yet you don't want to do it now?

What is this "related option"?

Now I do it of course, I just turn it on while gaming, otherwise, a dual core 2.4 GHz serves my needs. ( video watching etc ) I don't want to consume unnecessary power.
That option is called, CPU Fan Smart Mode, it has 3 options " Auto, PWM and voltage " It's set to auto, shall I change it?
Also, once I bios updated, I loaded optimized defaults, and that's it. Did I need to load fail-safe defaults?
Thanks

Being that your fan is not PWM, that will do nothing. Just leave it. If your temps are cool, stop worrying about it. Anything under 50C is cool.

An OC as small as yours, will not consume "unnecessary power". Set it and forget it. Gaming is not the only reason to OC.

I know OC'ing is not only for gaming but I don't run very much aplications at once, so I don't think it'll make any difference. But since it won't consume unnecessary power, I see no reason not to leave the OC on.
Actually I'm not worrying about my temps, I set the bios to warn me on 60 C ( I know 60 C isn't high but I just leave it to warn me at that, to be in the safest side ).
Would running the fan at max speed shorten its lifespan? Also, would that consume higher power? And is there a way to manually control the fan speed? I don't really think my CPU needs all of that speed when I'm doing nothing but chatting on MSN and having FireFox on.
Thanks again and sorry for many questions :D

Running your home Air Conditioning on full will shorten its life. It's a fact of life. Luckily, these fans cost much less.

I have my Quad 6600 2.4Mhz at 2.8Mhz (after dropping it from a unsafe OC) I do not game much. I am in the same position as you. I have overclocked this system for over a year. I am still kicking.

Well, is there a way to decrease the fan speed and let it turn up only when temperature rises?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom