LAPTOP AS A MODEM??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlosdzv

Baseband Member
can i use my Laptop as an internet transmitter for my desktop? the reason i am asking its because my desktop is too far from the modem to be plugged in ,, so i was thinking if i can connect my laptop with the internet cable to my desktop and some how transmit the internet from it ? can i do this? how exactly ? i found some info about it but its all about from a laptop to a ps3 and:whistle xbox :(

Wat?
Don't you mean wireless repeater?
so...

t3h interwebz--->modem--->laptop*****wireless****>Desktop?

you can bridge the ethernet and the wireless connection together.

Just use a wireless router...

i am trying to connect my desktop.. not laptop. i cant wirelles with the desktop only with the Ethernet cable and i dont want to do that because its far from my router.. can i connect my laptop and desktop together with an Ethernet cable and so i can have internet access with my desktop? ( laptops has access to the internet wireless)

There are wireless adapters for a desktop. They come in any PCI range and USB.

Z165-1200-main-wifi.jpg

usb-wireless-adapters.jpg

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=31&name=Wireless-Adapters

You could also get a longer Ethernet cable.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10208

Ya, I was gonna say, get one of those USB things. I think mine may have been a few bucks at Walmart. I have one for my daughters computer upstairs. It plugs right in and after a quick install your desktop can get wifi.

Thanks but I know ican buy that..see. the thing is iwanted to try a diffrent way..and I am not sure you understand what iwant todo ( maybe iam explaining it wrong) I want my laptop to pass the internet that is getting wireless to my desktop with the ethernet cable
Wireless signal>laptop>ethernet cable>desktop. :) boom internet onmy desktop.

Biggest issue is you only have 1 network plug on your laptop.. Unless you are wifi..

Then you need a cross-over cable. That connects the lappy to desktop.

Then use internet shared co0nnection (ics) and it'll work.

Heres how to make one: LWD - How To Make a Crossover Cable

The biggest issue with this forum is people don't answer the asked questions.... They just toss their own opinion into what they think you should do.

The biggest issue with this forum is people don't answer the asked questions.... They just toss their own opinion into what they think you should do.

Sometimes the asked question is just a bad idea. Why buy or make a crossover cable when you can pick up a usb network adapter for less than $15 that will offer less cable mess and faster performance?

Newegg.com - AZiO AWU354 IEEE 802.11b/g USB 2.0 Wireless Adapter Up to 54Mbps Wireless Data Rates 64/128-Bit WEP, WPA, WPA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom