Is it worth me upgrading to AMD x6

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I heard Bulldozer only works in AM3+ motherboard, so he needs to upgrade his motherboard as it won't work in his existing motherboard
Yes, in the end AMD decided to implement certain features which breaks compatibility with older boards rather than leave those features out.
You can use an AM3 chip in an AM3+ board though.
Furthermore, why do you think that bulldozer will be on early 2011 ?
That's the timeframe that is given most often when you google search for 'amd bulldozer release'
Also, Bulldozer has actually been taped out and dies have been produced by GlobalFoundries. They just need to get their 32nm manufacturing process ramped up and ready for mass production.
AMD Bulldozer Die, Llano Wafer Pictured by VR-Zone.com

That's the timeframe that is given most often when you google search for 'amd bulldozer release'
Also, Bulldozer has actually been taped out and dies have been produced by GlobalFoundries. They just need to get their 32nm manufacturing process ramped up and ready for mass production.
AMD Bulldozer Die, Llano Wafer Pictured by VR-Zone.com

The fact that the chip has taped out doesn't have any connection to the launch date. Sandy Bridge taped out more than a year ago but it still hasn't launched yet.

Implementing a new architecture on a new process rarely if ever happens, you always see a die shrink of an existing design first. Judging by AMD's road maps Llano will serve as that die shrink and it isn't scheduled to launch until early 2011 meaning bulldozer would come much later.

It wont be out that soon. You never launch a new architecture with a new process. Tell me where that has happened before successfully. GF has yield issues, we all know it. They have consistently had bad new process launches and took months to fix it. So even if AMD has it ready to go for Q1 the is no guarantee that GF can make them. Remember what happened when the latest ATI chips launched? You couldn't find them. I think it will be next summer before we see Bulldozer.

ATI GPU's are manufactured by TSMC. While TSMC has a bad track record of process shrinks, AMD/GF doesn't.

Anyway, Llano was originally scheduled for Q4 2010, and GF already has 32nm wafers of Llano dies. I would think Zambei would be out at least in the first half of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom