~$650 Rig, First Time Builder, Few Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

gibtuck

Solid State Member
Hi, I'm looking to build a computer for around $650; I will be playing games such as SC2, Diablo 3, Fallout, newer FPS that come out, as well as doing light video editing/digital painting.

I have a preliminary build picked out based on the hundreds of threads that seem to be asking the exact same question I am, any feedback would be appreciated:

Case + Mobo

Antec 300 + Asus M4A785TD

Price: $99

Memory:
G.SKILL Ripjaw 4GB 1600

Price: $92

HDD:
Samsung Spinpoint

Price: $74

Processor
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE

Price: $149

Optical Drive:
Random DVD Drive

Price: $17

GFX + PSU Possibilities
A)GTX 460 and 850W

B)HD5770 and 550W

A Price: $330
B Price: $205

TOTAL incl Shipping:

with GFX/PSU A - $765

with GFX/PSU B - $655

I realize the first build exceeds my price point by a lot, and the second one falls about right. I am wondering how to get the best bang for my buck out of the PSU/GFX category, what to buy in combos/separately. Should I spend less on the processor and more on the GFX card? What wattage PSU can I buy based on the card range I am looking at?

Thanks in advance

850W is more than you need, 550-600 would be just fine, however 850W will allow future upgrades. So while you pay more now on 1, you don't have to rebuy one again if you update.

You could drop to a 750tx Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
But the combo deal makes the 850tx nice.

The 460 and 850 is the better rig, but an inbetween would be a 750tx at 109 and a 5770, but you will suffer abit on the graphics end. Or save 20 bucks with a 460 786mb model.
I'd try to keep a psu with 4 pci-e cables as your upgrade right now, is dual cards, so a psu over 700W.

muffin, that processor/mobo combo isn't available, do you remember how much it was? (edit: make that all of those combo deals)

paton brings up a good point, I think the way for me to go now is to get crossfire/SLI-ready boards and cards and then in the future, just throw a second card in. i'm checking the combos section for a SLI ready board paired with a processor, any idea what I should be looking for?

Update:

Tried to compare what everyone has said on this thread, came up with this:
Aim is to have an SLI-Able Card/Board/PSU, decent CPU (I dont think I'll miss the L3 Cache of the Phenom, at least not according to the feedback).

HDD: Samsung Spinpoint

GPU: EVGA GTX 460 Fermi (768MB)

Case/DVD: ANTEC 300, LITE-ON DVD DRIVE

RAM/PSU: G.Skill RIPJAW 4GB/Corsair 750tx

CPU/MOBO: Athlon II X4 640/ASUS M4A785TD

Total with Shipping, before rebates: $687

Your thoughts? Am I going to be able to throw in a second 460 in six months with no additional purchases? Anything I am overlooking? If this looks good, I will pull the trigger today.

That looks good.

What would the difference be between the Antec PSU that muffin listed and the Corsair 750tx that paton did. The prices are the same after rebate.

the corsairs' got a 5yr warranty while the antec has a 3yr. the antec is modular while the corsair is not.

actually, i don't know why but i had forgotten about the corsair when i was making that list, but either of them would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom