E8400 3.00 GHz CPU running @ 2.4 GHz only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skorpian

In Runtime
Long story short, My mobo and cpu don't go well together ( I should have done more research before buying this combination ).
It's just my CPU is FSB 1333, but my CPU socket on mobo says " FSB 1066 " thus causing the bottleneck in performance, making CPU work on only 80% of its true power.
I've asked and found out that if I tweak and option in bios called ' OC FSB to 1333 " that worked for me. But I'm still unsure if this option is safe to use with my mobo
My motherboard is a Gigabyte 945PL-S3P, and my CPU is Intel dual core E8400 @ 3.00 GHz.
Thanks in advance and sorry if this is in wrong section :S.

I believe that the CPU runs at a lower clock to save power. When needed, it will speed up. As to the FSB, I have no idea.

No it doesn't speed up. When it runs at low speed it runs at 266*6=1.6 GHz, but when it speeds up, it runs at 266*9=2.4 GHz, it doesn't go any further.
Thanks for your reply.

My Bios version is F4, Is there a way to safely bios update without any risk of a mobo brick?
And that's overclocking, isn't that dangerous and that would harm the cpu as it's running at high temperature?

Go to Gigabyte's support, and plug in your model. Should be a BIOS Update section. They should have a method to safely update your BIOS.

A safe overclock will not harm your CPU. As long as you know what you are doing, you will be safe.

I've always heard that I should avoid bios updating as much as possible. And I've also heard of much stories on the internet of mobo's bricked via bios updates.
And here's the page for my bios GA-945PL-S3P (rev. 6.6) - GIGABYTE which location should I choose from Asia, China, America or Europe? I live in Egypt so IDK.
And maybe 600 mhz oc won't even do much, but wouldn't it decrease the life of the CPU/ Motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom