OCing advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

heister

In Runtime
What do you all think about this MOBO for overclocking abilities Asus P6X58D-E and how does this CPU work with overclocking ease?

Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930

They are both good overclockers, but nothing overclocks good in 90F rooms, not even with watercooling.

yea, but do you think i really have any choice on the water cooling with the possibility of ambient temps getting to those points? and the temps wont be there for ever the construction on the house that is causing these temps should be fully finished by the end of the year, and as it cools down the room temps should go down. So its for necessity now, and im interested in it, plus it gives me the ability to make the build last longer into the future

Once you get your room temperatures under controll the i7 930 will overclock to 4 GHz with a good heatsink and fan setup. Watercooling can and usually does allow you to go higher still, but nothing is guaranteed. In a cooled room with watercooling you should be able to overclock the i7 930 to 4.2GHz -4.4GHz if you have the talent and knowledge.

thanks man, I'll see where the budget is at after the build and I'll go from there. I had decent core temps on my old q6600 with a True120 on it. The idea of water cooling has always intruiged me, so I thought I would give it a go, the thing I like best about it is the ability to ''silence'' the gpu...

Before you commit to the P6X58D-E, consider the Gigabyte X58A-UD3R. They're around the same price (the Gigabyte is a bit cheaper at $209) but I think the Gigabyte has more features and is a nicer board than the Asus. I know Asus makes quality boards but the Gigabyte has more USB ports, eSATA ports, and more internal SATA if you want upgrade room. Either way both motherboards will overclock very well with that chip, 4GHz is possible with good cooling.

Using the X58A-UD3R and the i7 930, I'm running around 4.1GHz (sometimes I go a bit higher, sometimes lower if my room gets hot) at 1.30V (1.325 BIOS) using the Corsair H50 closed loop water cooler. Using a full custom water cooling loop will give you even better results and allow you to push the voltage a bit higher. I probably could get mine to 4.2 but I mainly use it in a tiny dorm room that gets hot quickly when the door is closed, doesn't help that I run Folding @ Home 24/7 either but hopefully it will cool down soon.

It seems like all the users having problems overclocking, that I see, have the Gigabyte UD3R board. Gigabytes other mobo's, the more expensive ones, may be alright but I just skip past any post requesting overclocking help if I see UD3R anywhere on the page.

It seems like all the users having problems overclocking, that I see, have the Gigabyte UD3R board. Gigabytes other mobo's, the more expensive ones, may be alright but I just skip past any post requesting overclocking help if I see UD3R anywhere on the page.

Weird, I have had no huge issues with the UD3R, followed your overclocking guide and got my i7 930 running at 4.1GHz just fine on it. The newer Gigabyte UD3R's did change the BIOS layout (my friend built the same build I have and he got the newer revision board) but it still had all the overclocking features and they seemed to work (except we couldn't go very high on the stock heatsink). I personally recommend the board based on my experience with it though an ASUS may have easier overclocking than the Gigabyte.

Weird, I have had no huge issues with the UD3R

I'm not saying every UD3R mobo is going to be a piece of crap. Just like, or similiar to, every other mobo made some of them will overclock "Good" and some of them will be "Not" so good and some of them will be "Average". With that in mind lets consider how the UD3R can have all of these features and options but still be priced economically. They use parts or components of a lower-grade and less-skilled labor. Because of this the number of "Good" goes down while the number of "Not" so good goes up. Well in reality every manufacturer does this, they have to, it perfectly acceptable and I know this. But some companies realize these products will have some problems so they offer better Support Services. Companies like Asus and EVGA offer Advanced RMA / Cross-Shipping Services or prompt service in general. If I have any trouble with my mobo I'll have a new one before I have to remove my old mobo. Here's Gigabyte's RMA Policy. I'll buy a Gigabyte product when there the last Manufacturer left.
gigabyte.jpg

Gigabyte RMA Policy

Here are the Asus Terms
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Support-

And EVGA
EVGA | Support | default

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom