Mafia II is.. Pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

overlord20

Fully Optimized
Here is my video review of Mafia II. Sorry about the quality. Needless to say I will be switching to a different editing software.

I thought the story was absolutely awesome (except the ending, what the heck) I played it in 2 sessions, the first was 1 hour when i got back from holiday and the next was 9 hours the next day. Can't remember the last game i played for 9 hours.

I agree with most of the things you say. Although there are some things that really ****ed me off:

Most of the cutscenes are great. But sometimes they look like they were taken from a PS1 title. And one or two times throughout the game the camera panning on parts of the level felt very cheap, like i was playing Time Crisis.

They paid a huge amount of detail in some areas, but then really slacked in others. I can wonder around my house and turn on and off everything in there, but then the game doesn't let me use melee weapons. Who made that choice ? "Toggable faucets or Melee weapons guys ?, toggable faucets, of course !", oh please.

Also, where is the free ride. I want to play free ride at the end of the game. Fortunately because i am a huge fan of modding i am aware of a mod that re enables free ride. But why the heck did they remove it in the first place.

I felt like i played through the entire story mode without accomplishing anything. About 75percent through the game i get made effectively bankrupt. I was fine with that as it was a shock (in a good way) and really got me wondering how Vito was going to become rich and get all his money back, but he doesn't - so now at the very last mission I'm some poor lowlife gangster. I wanted to have a couple hundred K's in the bank and in a nice mansion.

There needs to be more variety in the cars. Quite a few of the cars look too similar, and seeing the same car so often pulls you out the game a bit. And where are the hotrods ? apart from a mission I've never seen one. Also the ability to export cars for money shouldn't dissapear when you Kill Derek imo, they basically pulled one of the few features the game had left. They needed to add more, not take some away as the game progresses !

I could rant for quite a while longer, but despite all this i really enjoyed the game and am happy playing freeride. The game has a lot of screwups for sure, but what it does well it does it does extremely well. The driving, the guns, the police (although annoying on occasion), the graphics, the physx.. they all keep me playing. I think i will replay the story as well. That is incredibley rare for me, i hardly every replay the story mode. But i feel i have to on this, there are so many characters and plot changes i am sure if i play it through again i will realize more things and learn the characters more.

Also the ability to export cars for money shouldn't dissapear when you Kill Derek imo, they basically pulled one of the few features the game had left. They needed to add more, not take some away as the game progresses !

just to say you can still get money if you bring cars to that junk yard, is it Mikes or something? Anyway put em in the car crusher=$$$

but I agree with the rest. 2K are ****ed about modders but they deserve everything they get. The reason the free ride mod came so quickly was all the files for it were there, just not "switched on" so to speak. Basically they've made the game, then cut a load of it so they can bring out DLC's, so in a few months they could go "so everyone wanted freeride, well we've decided to make it for you! Aren't we the best **** company ever!"

also quite a few missions seem to have been made in whole or part, then removed from the game(but still in the files).

I hate this, it's happened in the last few years. Make your game use steam, release a half done game, then release 3-5 DLC's at £5-10 each to make more of a profit, when back the day they'd just release all the content they made in the retail game, not make it, then cut 20% so they can add it bit by bit to maximise profits..

That junk yard only coughs up <$500 for a car. You could export a car for 2,000 at Dereks. Meh.

I agree about 2K Games though. Then again if you were the company CEO you would try and make as much money as possible. Although they went to far with this game, they stripped so much from it they lost the original Mafia script writer for Mafia 3 and they're receiving less than great review scores.

I just beat it a few hours ago after about 4 sessions of 2-3 hours and I have to say the story and the depth made the game worth while but to be honest I have never felt so depressed while playing a game. You spend the whole game crawling from a hole filled with **** only to have your mom die, your friend get cut up by the Chinese right in front of you with cleavers, and you end up inadvertently betraying your best friend after he saves your life. Not to mention the insane amount of twists in political hierarchy.

It was a great representation of the Mafia but at the same time I wanted Vito to become the mob, not be the mobs *****.

I agree. I wanted Vito to achieve something, earn some money, have a nice condo and move up the Mafia chain. But at the end of the story he was as much a "someones *****" and lowlife as he was before the game started.

Thank for the comments/reviews guys- I will stay away from this one - life/business is depressing enough in the real word - when I play games I want to feel like I have accomplished something in the end and have fun getting there.

I think perhaps we gave the wrong impression.

The game is awesome, i still play it. It just has some big flaws, but it's so good in the first place it gets away with it. The story line is really really fun, but it's gritty and realistic i guess, you just don't achieve much by the end. But then Vito's story is obviously not over (theres a Mafia 3) so it makes sense.

I would pick it up if i were you.

Great game. Nice in depth story...but I am with you guys, Vito should have become something...it was just one hit after another...he achieved nothing. Did the game seem short as **** to you guys too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom