10000rpm hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trifid

Fully Optimized
hello,

I plan to build a new computer at christmas and was wondering is it is it worth getting a 10000 rpm harddrive? knowing that to be able to afford the extra money for it, i would be taking away from the processor. And how likley would it be that i would ever fill up the 74gb in it? or should i get a 40gb 10 000 rpm hardrive for main programs, and get a 80gb one for everything else, like pictures and music.

Thanks.

I'm also planning to build a PC of my own
I would get 2x80GB 7200RPM HDD's and put them in a Raid 0
this way it is almost as fast as a 15000RPM HDD, but a lot cheaper

Only problem with that is if one drive fails you are screwed. The 10,000 RPM drives are nice and it makes winXP installation about 10-15 mins instead of 35 or more. Installing programs and loading windows in general is really fast.

Trifid said:
hello,

I plan to build a new computer at christmas and was wondering is it is it worth getting a 10000 rpm harddrive? knowing that to be able to afford the extra money for it, i would be taking away from the processor. And how likley would it be that i would ever fill up the 74gb in it? or should i get a 40gb 10 000 rpm hardrive for main programs, and get a 80gb one for everything else, like pictures and music.

Thanks.
Unless you have a need for 10k RPM SCSI, then I would suggest that you can put that money elsewhere on your computer.

the 10 he is ta;lking about isnt a scsi, its a sata WD raptor, they have then in 36 gb and 74. It is indeed real fast. I am getting 1 74 gb rator, and 1 160 gb seagate for my new pc. i am going to install all my main programs on the 1st one, and the rest on the other.

But Apokalipse said something pretty smart also, is to get 2 7.2k rpm sata HDs and put them in raid. Itl be fast also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom