CPU upgrading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeisalsocool

Daemon Poster
So I just bought a 2.66 Northwood 533/512.
I had a 1.5 Willamite 400/256.

Havent changed any other peripherals, and for somereason Im not seeing the performance increase that I was expecting. Everything is stock speed but I dont see a dramatic difference. Its a 1100MHz increase, and boot time is the same, I get 5-7 fps increase in FarCry.
I ran through the bios to see if something was disabled, but it all checked out fine. Would it have anything to do with my 266MHz PC2100 RAM?
I'm lost, any suggestions?

-Joe

With only 5-7 fps increase in far cry, for only 1100mhz increase, fps is baised more on your graphics card than your cpu. You have a Ti4200, so that is limiting your frame rate. If you want to see an increase in your performace, upgrade your video card.

Yea, I realized that after. :cool: but even the load times are the same. I feel like I just wasted a lot of money, maybe more ram would have been a better idea...

More ram or a video card. Personaly I would have spent a little on everything, cpu, video, and ram. You would see the most performace increase out of that.

Well that 2.6GHz intel isn't as fast as say the 3200+ XP which is only 2.2GHz, but is $180...not sure how much you paid for your chip. AMD's are better for gaming., They do more instructions per clock cycle than Intels so that's why they can perform faster at lower clock speeds. But yeah really what you described is about all I'd expect out the clock differences. The performance increase you want is acquired through RAM and a better graphics card for sure in the case of far cry

Joeisalsocool said:
Yea, I realized that after. :cool: but even the load times are the same. I feel like I just wasted a lot of money, maybe more ram would have been a better idea...

you guessed it. i upgraded my cpu from a Athlon 1.1 ghz to a 1700+ (1.47 ghz) amd didn't really notice a difference until i upgraded my ram from 128 mb to 256 mb. Thats when my load times really started to pick up :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom