I can't get my RAM to run at 1066Mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgot the memory controller is in the CPU, did you update your BIOS or check to see if there is an update that addresses this? I have the same issue with memory sticks that have an EPP timing set, and can't use that, as well, my motherboard doesn't support it.

Im downloading the manual to see if I can find anything... -.-

EDIT:
After looking through your manual, out of the box, it is only certified to run on Corsair CM2X1023-8500C5 or GEIL GB24GB8500C5QC for the 1066 frequency, and it's limited to 1GB per stick sadly... See if there is a BIOS update that allows more per slot. I remember in the old days if you ran to much ram, it would literally force a downclock for some reason, that may be what you are seeing now....

My version of BIOS is current (0701). According to the ASUS website the version required for my new CPU is 0601 which is lower then the version of BIOS that I have... so I'm all set there. I did a lot of homework on these upgrades before I bought them. I checked, double checked, triple checked and made about 5 threads to be quadruply sure that everything would work well with my MoBo. I don't think it's a hardware issue, I think it's a "tinkering" with BIOS to find the right combo issue.

I just found something really interesting.... I thought an AM3 cpu only supported DDR3?

ANYWAYS....

That is what's wrong...

From your manual, that you should have noticed.

"*DDR2 1066 is supported by AM2+ CPU only. Refer to ASUSTeK Computer for the AM2+ CPU models.
**Refer to ASUSTeK Computer for the latest Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors List)."

There will be NO WAY to run the ram at those timings/speeds, with out an AM2+ cpu, there is some limitation somewhere with the board/ram/cpu combo when you throw in an AM3 cpu.

I'm almost positive that AM3 processors can utilize both DDR2 and DDR3 because both DDR3 and DDR2 are integrated into the AM3 processors memory controller at all frequencies. This is why I thought with my updated BIOS and my motherboards support for AM3 processors that it would allow me to utilize the full amount of the DDR2 memory (to max it out if you will). As of now it seems to be running at 1066MHz per CPU-Z and I haven't had as much as a hiccup. I tested out a few games like MW2, SC2, FO3 and LFD2... they run 110% better then they did previously (before tinkering with BIOS).

About a month ago I upgraded my PSU (Antec 550W) and GSU (1GBGeforce GT 240) and even after all that, with this upgrade they ran much, much smoother then before the new CPU & RAM (after tinkering with BIOS). Who knows, maybe there is some unforeseen act of God or something that is making it work that we are both overlooking... :lol:

according to the last cpu-z screen you posted your memory is now running at 1071 MHz :thumbsup:

Your overclocking if your components are running faster than the stock advertised speed.

I just noticed my FSB: DRAM ratio is 3:8... does that mean my RAM is running faster then my CPU can process it? How can I get that closer to a 1:1 ratio? I always thought CPU's were plug n' play, but is there something in BIOS I need to mess with to get the ratio closer to one another so one is not bottle-necking the other?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom