Updating Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koravel34

Beta member
Hey all!

I have a relatively older computer, an Intel Pentium D 2.8 Ghz, now with 3 GB of RAM.

I'm just trying to get a gaming card that will allow me to use the computer for another year or so, and I was looking at this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121353. However, it mentions that this is a PCI Express 2.0, and my computer only supports PCI Express 1.0.

Are these cards backwards compatible, and would it be worth spending $95 to upgrade from my current card, (which is a 7600 GT)?

One other thing. I only have the power supply that came with the computer- will this be enough to handle that card, or would I need to upgrade that as well?

First of all, how many watts is your power supply and what manufacturer? My guess is FSP group.

As I understand it, PCI E is backwards compatible so a 5770 or a 5750 is a good choice.

That card should be an upgrade (it supports DX10, CUDA, and newer technologies than the 7600GT). PCIe 2 cards will work in a PCIe 1 slot, so that should not be an issue. I would recommend something from the ATi Radeon HD5000 lineup as they all support DirectX 11 and work very well.

Sapphire = two year warranty. VisionTek = lifetime warranty. There's not a noticeable difference between GDDR3 and GDDR5 unless you are playing something really strenuous graphic-wise. Even then it will only be a few frames per second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom